Setup HELP

jackwilliam

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm going to go ahead and admit that I'm a total noob when it comes to Hifi, so apologies in advance for my naivity. I work in music but am not used to the technical side of things (i'm a drummer - insert jokes here).

I have a vague idea of what I'd like from reading reviews but would love some advice. I need a stereo to play records with the option to occasionally plug a laptop or ipod into the amp. I also have a 3DHDTV and a playstation 4 and a Digital box. I would need a HD AV receiver but am only planning on using 2 floorstanding speakers rather than a surround sound setup. Any recommendations on which AV receiver would best suit this setup?

My shopping list so far:

Rega RP3 turntable with Elys 2 cartridge

Naim Nait 5si Amp

B&W 684 S2 Speakers

Would this arangement work well together? The room is 5 metres x 5 metres with a high ceiling. And would I route an AV receiver straight into the back of the Amp? Would like to spend £3k or less total but that's not strict.

Thanks,

Jack

jackwilliam said:
Hi guys,

I'm going to go ahead and admit that I'm a total noob when it comes to Hifi, so apologies in advance for my naivity. I work in music but am not used to the technical side of things (i'm a drummer - insert jokes here).

I have a vague idea of what I'd like from reading reviews but would love some advice. I need a stereo to play records with the option to occasionally plug a laptop or ipod into the amp. I also have a 3DHDTV and a playstation 4 and a Digital box. I would need a HD AV receiver but am only planning on using 2 floorstanding speakers rather than a surround sound setup. Any recommendations on which AV receiver would best suit this setup?

My shopping list so far:

Rega RP3 turntable with Elys 2 cartridge

Naim Nait 5si Amp

B&W 684 S2 Speakers

Would this arangement work well together? The room is 5 metres x 5 metres with a high ceiling. And would I route an AV receiver straight into the back of the Amp? Would like to spend £3k or less total but that's not strict.

Thanks,

Jack

Welcome to the forum. Reading reviews is one thing but you have to go out and audition - it is the only way. Visit a few dealers if you can with a clear idea of what you need the system to do and a fixred budget (do not let dealer push you over this).

The system you list will not do what you want.

The Rega RP3 is a good turntable however the cartridge is not that good to be honest and could be bettered for same money. The Naim amp is good if you like their 'house' sound but it is a basic amp and you will not be able to connect laptop / ipod directly to it. (To do this you are better off looking for an integrated amplifier with an inbuilt DAC - something along the lines of the Hegel H80 for example).

The speakers come well rated but you need to really listen to them in your own room if you can.

I don't have much experience trying to link AV with a puure stereo system so perhaps others can help here.

Research more, and above all get out and listen to some systems before parting with hard-earnt cash.
regular_smile.gif

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
All you want can be accommodated by a single modern av receiver.
A stereo amp is surplus.

Turntable, computer, hd/3d tv - alternative amp, sub.

Pick a price point - check the net, then go shopping. Yes they're described as 7.1 or 9.1or even 5.1 amps - they all do stereo.

Your local dealer hopefully will have an install service to save you time and bother.

In fact for a room that size effects speakers could be useful.

You know, the more I read this forum is the more traditional amps seem to be becoming obsolete.

Thompsonusb is correct to a point. You would have to ensure that the AV amp had a phono preamplifier inbuilt to accomodate your turntable as many do not.

It would do the job but probably not as well as a good stereo amplifier.

jackwilliam

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys,

So potentially I could forgo a traditional stereo amp and just go straight into an AV receiver?

This receiver seems to suit my needs outside of records - Pioneer SCLX57. Could I run the turntable straight in or would I need a pre-amp or any other kind of adapter?

And which Record player/cartridge would you recommend for the price? under £700

I'm going to sevenoaks later to try out some systems.
Pioneer SCLX57Pioneer SCLX57

The Pioneer is a bit of a beast of an AV amp unfortunately you are going to need another box in the form of a phono preamp to connect your turntable. The Rega RP3 is good but you would be better of fitting it with a Nagaoka cartridge MP110, 150 or 200 to suite your budget).

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I use my av receiver for everything, music included, and it sounds great to me. I do play all my music in multi stereo, so I get sound from the front and rear speakers, and in my opinion, and everyone who's heard it, it sounds much better than just through the front speakers in straight stereo, though I'm unlikely to convince most people on this forum. *smile*

To get an av receiver with a built in phono stage won't be cheap, so a better option may be to buy the receiver you want, and add a separate external phono stage.

If you have a Richer Sounds, or good local dealer close to you, visit them, and let them know exactly what you want to achieve, and your budget, I'm sure they'll be able to help.

TRENDING THREADS