Setting up a System For Parties

TheFluffyDog

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey Guys,

So I have a nice Hi-Fi setup, and I splurged and bought 2 monitor audio silver RXW-12's so I could still host parties. however, I had a few friends over and had a little party, and a few of my friends now want the same type of power for them. They arent concerned at all with getting amazing quality, so I suggested we build the speakers and subs. I'm very good with my hands and make furniture all the time, so build a few nicely finished cabinets with all the necessary components in them should be easy. but here's the trouble:

I cant figure out what to buy. Do i get 2 10" woofer's 3 8", 1 12"?

Where do i get cheap amps that dont focus on quality, more on raw power?

I was thinking 3 10" woofers for subs, and tweeter's plus 2 6-8" woofers for stereo. But i just cant seem to find what I want. I find really cheap stuff, with low power handling, or I find hifi type equipment. Any suggestions on which products have great power handling and come at a decent price?

A

Anderson

TheFluffyDog said:
Hey Guys,

So I have a nice Hi-Fi setup, and I splurged and bought 2 monitor audio silver RXW-12's so I could still host parties. however, I had a few friends over and had a little party, and a few of my friends now want the same type of power for them. They arent concerned at all with getting amazing quality, so I suggested we build the speakers and subs. I'm very good with my hands and make furniture all the time, so build a few nicely finished cabinets with all the necessary components in them should be easy. but here's the trouble:

I was thinking 3 10" woofers for subs, and tweeter's plus 2 6-8" woofers for stereo. But i just cant seem to find what I want. I find really cheap stuff, with low power handling, or I find hifi type equipment. Any suggestions on which products have great power handling and come at a decent price?

My brother in law's friend is a joiner, he made him a set of speakers from scavenged PA speakers parts. He had 2 15 inch woofers taken from a bass guitar speaker, 2 passive 8 inch woofers and 2 tweeters which I have no idea where they came from. The cabinets he made himself and covered in farside comics, 2 finish off the look he had them on raised castor wheels. These speakers were amazing to look at and sounded absolutely superb! So I say don't go big, go HUGE!

In terms of amplification just get yourself a cheap class D pa amp.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Years ago I built 36"x18"x12" (I think) cabinets with 12" drivers and a cheap tweeter (simple capacitor filter). Whilst I have no way to assess them in relation to accurate 'hifi', I really enjoyed their 'party's sound. Bass in buckets and with younger ears a great sound. Although simple and avoiding any complex crossovers etc., I recon party bang-for-buck was through the roof. A couple of 12" or 15" woofers and a mid-tweeter in a big cabinet (dimensions are important) would IMO be a good cheap 'rock and roll' box.

I would have loved to compare them with my modern (£1k-£2k) system. Back then they gave me more pleasure than anything since. Supertramp - marvellous!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
TheFluffyDog said:
Hey Guys,

If you want the biggest bang for your buck and sound quality is less of an issue then you need to be looking a PA equipment rather then hifi equipment. While PA subwoofers will go louder than hifi subwoofers they generally don't go as deep which is something to bare in mind. Visit your local pro-audio store and they will be able to best advise you.

Here are some good value LOUD subwoofers with built in amplifiers. Clicky

What's your friends budget?

What size room are they wanting to fill?

How loud does it need to go?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts