Seriously stupid question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Does ANY new Hi-Fi component actually need "running in" these days?

Or is modern stuff a bit like modern cars. I remember the days when cars had to be driven sensibly for the first 700 miles, then have an oil change, before letting RIP!

Tell me its not the same these days for any HiFi component.

Muchly Ta

Serenity ;-)

John Duncan

You know how to light blue touchpaper don't you?

I think it's certainly the case for speakers, being a mechanical device - can't say I've ever experienced it with electricals (or cables).

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:You know how to light blue touchpaper don't you? I think it's certainly the case for speakers, being a mechanical device - can't say I've ever experienced it with electricals (or cables).

I agree
emotion-15.gif

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I'll be honest, I didn't think electronics needed to "run in", but benefitted from being warm i.e. on for at least an hour before you started to use it.

But (and it could be my ears acclimatising to the sound) I would swear that my beresford sounded better after a week or so's use...

A

Anonymous

Yes I agree, my Supernait sounded much better after a month of running............

A

Anonymous

it is so obvious, as for speakers . do you notice the bass unit of speaker? after a month's run in, the rim of the unit will be much looser and softer than time you bought it . so the sound is looser and richer, and the details increase. many speakers need run in

A

Anonymous

Thanks Chaps

Assuming its the Speakers that just need the equivalent of "an oil" change. Is there any recomended source?

Such as a special CD with carefully constructed "White noise", Pink noise" or "some other rainbow colour noise"

Or should I just hook up my old Medium wave tranny, tune into some static, turn the volume up a dgree or two, and leave the room for 48 hours.

Serenity

PS I love lighting Blue Touch papers

Cant wait for Nov 5th, but I so need the practise!

A

Anonymous

I am sure you know the answer to this already!
emotion-2.gif

Here are two methods on geeky and one not

Ungeeky way

Just play music through your system and the speakers will loosen up over time.

Geeky way

Set the speakers to face each other.

Reverse the wires on one speaker so it is out of phase with the opposing one.

Play a mono source at resonable volume for 24-48 hrs.

Being out of phase the theory is the sound is mostly cancelled out so your neighbours etc will not be disturbed.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
MENISCUS:Yes I agree, my Supernait sounded much better after a month of running............

Thats nothing, Darren's (Clearaudio) Naim player is probably still running in after two years

A

Anonymous

Thanks Welshboy - I'm going to try the second option tonight. But basically I can put my can of Duckhams back in the Garage!

;-)

Serenity

A

Anonymous

actually, the best way of run-in of speakers, i recommend the natrual way. that is, just listen normally and let the speaker units increase the performance gradually. maybe this will take a rather long time. for example. dynaudio needs 6months----1year. during this period, you should be patient, patient, and patient, and tolenrate its bad performance. but you should have confidence in them and believe they would be the best singer some time later. if you attempt to jump over this period, and leave the poor speakers work all day and all night in a large volume, the speakers are very subject to damage. i once damaged one of a tweeter of my speaker just in this way. so i dont want to do that anymore if i buy another speakers in the future.

T

the record spot

The Audio Analogue Paganini certainly did; switched up from cold, it was harsh having not been used for a while. Left it to run in overnight and it sounded lovely the following day.

John Duncan

Ah but I'd say there's "running in" and "warming up". Agreed that stuff needs to be warm, but not convinced by running in for electronics though - not something you can test really.

Course, Ashley says speakers don't need it either, but hey.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts