Seperate DAC or AVR internal Yamaha DACs?

rblock

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I have just hooked up an apple airport express to my yamaha A810 receiver to enable me to stream my ripped CDs via iTunes. I have used an audioquest forest optical/mini toslink cable so (I think) the yamaha DACs are doing the conversion. I've ripped my CDs into apple lossless files stored on an external hard drive connected to my MacBook Pro or directly into my AirPort Extreme router. I'm able to perform a few tweaks,notably equalizer settings etc through iTunes but would a seperate dedicated DAC give me an improvement in sound quality than the yamaha receiver?

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I would say yes,but an even better option is to add an integrated amp+dac...but obviously budget is the key :)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
The relatively tiny differences in sound between DACs of all types will be made irrelevant if you are using EQ.

There are two ways to listen to music, as it was recorded or with added colouration. Colouration can be added by changing components and mixing and matching to suit your taste, or much easier still, add EQ. To listen to the music as recorded, you need an audibly transparent system, which means cutting out EQ.

Some people notice an improvement when EQ and other sound manipulation is turned off in iTunes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts