SEPARATED DAC ..........

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You need to go and listen to some of all the separate amp and DAC combinations that are possible within your budget and compare them with some integrated amp/DACs costing similar amounts.

If you then decide that there is quality difference in favour of separates, then you will need to ask yourself about how much you value the extra space and cables that an integrated will give you.

I am not going to answer the question because it will just be an opinion based on my own system and my own 'weightings' (or balancing) of all the various factors and won't reflect your requirements or desires or tastes.

NS496

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I think the 'best' is probably a separate DAC and analogue amplifier. Over the long term 'separates' work out well because certain components, say like a power amplifier, almost never becomes obsolete. You also have electrical separation and isolation of components. However partnering equipment may take care to get the best out of them.

Where inbuild DAC and amp start to really make sense is where the amplification incorporates digital signals like a NAD 390DD or to lesser degree a D3020, or DSP (in AVR's) where it really makes sense...

Just having a conventional Amp with built-in DAC to me is almost the same as having a 'phono stage' built in. Unlikely to give absolute best quality compared to a dedicated separate unit, but still very handy nontheless. It is much more affordable than having separate components.

So:

Ultimate quality: separate DAC and amp,

Newer 'direct digital' amplification: integrated solution DAC and amp,

'value for money': amp with separate DAC built in.

Just my 2c.

matthewpiano

I think it partially comes down to the manufacturer's approach to internal screening, and probably also filtering as well. Rega amps have no output filtering, and particularly in the case of the Brio-R everything is packed tightly together in that small box without screening hence the propensity towards some noise. If they added a DAC chip into that recipe it probably wouldn't be a good idea, and so in amps like Regas the seperate amp and DAC approach is probably the best.

Japanese manufacturers are rather more fastidious in their screening and isolation. For example, Marantz screen the DAC sections in their integrateds to avoid them interfering with the rest of the amp, and on the PM7005 they even have an 'analogue mode' to switch the digital circuits off when they are not being used.

Just a thought, and I'm not suggesting one is better than the other, just different!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Make it fit the page and it won't distort ...

kopfhoererverstaerker_marantz_hd_dac1_bild_1419785344.jpg

... 1500 pixels wide is a bit much especially for those using iPhones and smaller tablets.

Just look for the 'width' box and put in something a bit more reasonable, otherwise it just looks stupid even on this 1920 x 1080 screen. (The bit where our text and photos go is less than half that width.)

NS496

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
The Magus said:
thanks for all the information

ns496 i wonder what do you mean by DSP (in AVR's)?

what I mean is that AVR's often need to do digital signal processing (DSP) and room correction etc. which need to happen in digital domain before final conversion to analog. Therefore it makes sense having a DAC in an AVR because the digital signal needs processing. Same with some newer 'direct digital' amps that does some pre-amp functions in digital domain.

manicm

I personally don't see the value of a standalone DAC anymore. See Rotel RA-11/12 amplifiers - their built-in ones do the job perfectly well from reviews. Standalone streamers like Marantz and CA have digital inputs anyway. The only time to consider one is if you're streaming via USB on your PC - in which case some portables can do the job, or if you're seriously into streaming DSD files. Otherwise I see no point.

UPDATE: The Marantz PM7005 actually has a USB input which will handle DSD files as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts