Sennheiser Momentum 4 Wireless vs Sony WH-1000XM5: which headphones are best?

willtim

Aug 10, 2022
Visit site
Rating the Sony ahead on sound quality is surprising and not in agreement with other reviewers. I believe a magazine promoting "Hi-Fi" should be championing a more neutral sound profile, such that we can listen to music as the artist intended, not the boomy over-exaggerated bass offered by Sony. In the past there have been problems using Sony's EQ with other features, e.g. LDAC and multipoint.

qba3d

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I also need to make a complaint. As a HUGE fan of Sony sound, owner of XBA-Z5, ex owner of IER-Z1R,XBA-3, WH-1000xm , and 1000xm3 , I must confess that the WH series was never super musical. Great at NC, yes, comfortable, oh yes, but artificial and soulless in their presentation. I did have a wired experience listening to xm5 at store and it really did sound very very odd, bright, yes, clear, maybe, but super flat mids ( in terms of Depth ) , with very artificial mid tones and super odd boomy base. Stage was almost non existant. In comparison to my old Momentum 3 it did sound.. well just more shouty. It has none of the qualities of more classic sony house sound I find in Z7, Z5 or Z1R , and has non one the organic musicality Sennheiser managed to push in to Momentum 3. Obviously I did not hear Momentum 4, but I seriously doubt it sounds worse than 3, and most reviewers sing prises on sound quality. I did find that odd tendency to prise Sony noise canceling headphones at What Hi Fi for some time in general and in my world it creates a long shadow in credibility of this reviews. But it could be just my ears.

ChrisS

Oct 25, 2022
Visit site
Rating the Sony ahead on sound quality is surprising and not in agreement with other reviewers. I believe a magazine promoting "Hi-Fi" should be championing a more neutral sound profile, such that we can listen to music as the artist intended, not the boomy over-exaggerated bass offered by Sony. In the past there have been problems using Sony's EQ with other features, e.g. LDAC and multipoint.
I don't know, this whole thing sounds very subjective to me, personally I have gone to stores to try both and the sony XM5 sounded a thousand times better and equalized to my liking I can't imagine, and I don't know, if you intend to listen "Hi FI" music the most obvious part for me is to use the headphones wired in a computer, the exaggerated bass issue can be controlled in professional equalizers

Ícono de validado por la comunidad

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts