Sennheiser HD-280 Pro Stereo Headphone review

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
A review of my new (old model?) HD-280 Pro, a nice headphone with very cheap earpads. http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/forum/headphone-reviews/1828-sennheiser-hd-280-pro-stereo-headphone-review.html

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
Perhaps a few words in comparison to price similar phones such as the new Logitech UE (non-ANC)?

The HD280 is much more hi-fi than the UE4000, although the UE4000's earpads are far, far better quality (sigh). If only I could get the 4000-quality earpads to fit the HD280, the 280 would sound even better. The UE4000 has enough treble rolloff to require a treble boost for me - even with the treble boost the 4000's highs are not hi-fi, but they're good enough for walkabout portable listening. The 4000's bass is strong and pretty even, not having the dip in the upper bass to lower mids like the HD280 does, but the 4000's bass doesn't have the detail and quality of the HD280's, so it's a mixed bag. In the $100 USD range, which is what these two cost in the U.S., there isn't much I'm familiar with. The new Beyer DTX501p is another competitor for the UE4000, having comparable bass and treble rolloff. So I'd say the HD280 is the best bet for sound with a couple caveats - not portable like these other two, and in a dry environment it may take the HD280's earpads a while to achieve a good bass seal to overcome that hollow midrange.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Those pads on the 280 and the suckout in the lower mids, plus the non-portability and big coiled cable, give lots of advantage to the v-moda M80. But, because the 280 is half the price, sounds bigger, and with patience to get a good seal sounds more hi-fi, has its own advantages.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts