sending equipment

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm thinking of selling a piece of equipment (integrated amp, 4kg in weight, closer to 5 with leads in box I imagine), and will likely have to send it. Can anyone advise on the best way to do this? I've never sent anything of this size before. Perhaps a courier?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

packaging: double-box, abundant use of bubble-wrap etc.Wrap each item separately (i.e. mains plug, ICs, speaker cable, component). Add as many stickers as you want - "Fragile", "Electronic components - useless if dropped", "This way up" etc

I'd recommend using interparcel.com. Numberous bad experiences with ParcelForce (inc a recently damaged amp!). Insure for the full amount. Take photos of the items pre-packaging and once packed. Email the photos to the recipient - if they look any different on arrival have the recipient take photos pre-opening, and then of the item unpacked.

Rob

Edit: the points above related to packaging/sending. As a seller you want to make sure you receive cleared funds which cannot be clawed back by the buyer, e.g. cash, bank cheque, Paypal gift, bank transfer. As a buyer you want buying protection, e.g. Paypal payment for goods. Many agree on Paypal payment for goods/services (mandatory for you to offer if selling on eBay). If selling away from eBay and the buyer wishes to pay by Paypal, you may want them to cover the 2% cover Paypal will make on the amount received.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Parcelforce are usually quite efficient - google for their number.

Otherwise interparcel.com is quite useful and you can book online and select a preferred day for the collection from your address.

A

Anonymous

Parcel2go are another broker like Interparcel. The only reason I recommend Interparcel over them is down to the fact that I haven't used Parcel2go. I was recommended Interparcel as being good at paying out if a package is damaged - whereas in that situation I've had a nightmare with Parcelforce.

To a degree it depends on the value of the item - I've sent dozens of smaller/less valuable items by Royal Mail Special Delivery.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Check what Interparcel insurance covers. I sent a really well wrapped pair of Kef floorstanders by them once and they arrived trashed. They were clearly dropped or thrown...

Luckily their insurance coughed up.

I sold an Apple laptop and used them and that arrived with a dead hard drive so again, dropped or thrown. I tried to claim only to be told computers weren't covered...

Needless to say I won't be using them again.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Double box. Between the manufacturer's box and the outer box use scrunched up newspaper for lighter items and/or bubble wrap (the type with really big 'bubbles') to help absorb shock. Worth remembering that all hifi arrives at our dealers via the same couriers but without the benefit of double boxing.

Parcelforce. Pay the extra and opt for Special Delivery (next day) and pay the extra for the appropriate level of insurance. Keep the tracking number and email it to the addressee too. This will also tell you who signed for it. (Proof of delivery.)

TRENDING THREADS