Second System Options - any views?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I am potentially looking for a second system for a medium sized room in my house and wondered if anyone has a view on what level to pitch it at? My main system is a Linn Akurate DSM and I am pretty happy with it in all (long time Linn owner).

The likelihood is that I won't go to that level with a second system and instead will probably look at something like Marantz amp and (possibly) streamer but have a couple of questions for those of you familiar with their stuff: Room is approx 15 x 15 and will be using Tidal and NAS as a source over Powerlines. Speakers will be MA Silver 1's.

1 - If I go for a PM6006/NA6005 setup - anyone experience of quality and sound? I understand that the app is bobbins but I can use Bubble UPnP instead so not a deal breaker.

2 - Is the PM6006 a big step forward from the 6005 or would I be best served going for the older model at less cost?

3 - Anyone know if it's possible to 'multi room' Marantz streamers if I ever added another?

4 - The PM6005/6 seem to be the sweet spot in the range, particularly as the 6006 has the DAC integrated too but is the 7005 and 8005 significantly better an option?

Here's a million dollar one - if I added in a dedicated DAC how far away from high end quality does that make Marantz stuff at significantly less cost?

Thanks in advance - I know there are a few Marantz users on here so any insights would be greatly appreciated.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I suppose I am biased. I can't tell how much better the higher end gear is. I use a marantz pm6005. I really was surprised how much better than my older marantz that it ended up being.

The DAC system is pretty good, I have a Sony Blu-ray plugged in via coaxial input for my CD playing (which is rare). I use a Raumfeld connector as my streamer, I think it is a fantastic piece of kit.

I'd imagine with even better speakers my system would be better, though all in all I'm happy.

Just as a side I have a monitor audio a100 which I like also, I actually paid more for it than the marantz, but fwiw the marantz outperforms in my opinion

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
What is your budget? My first thought was the Linn Kiko as it is a small, cool, lifestyle kind of system. Still a Linn product and is supposed to be good.

You should be able to do multiroom audio that way too I believe.

Bit pricey though.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
The Marantz streamer is pretty limited and doesn't incorporate Tidal. I'd be inclined to look at streamers that do support the service.

How about these;

Bluesound Powernode

Bluesound Node + Marantz HD-AMP1

Arcam rPlay + Marantz HD-AMP1

Naim Unitiqute (used or ex-demo as it's been replaced now)

Naim Atom

It bemuses me how far behind many dedicated streamers are from the usual suspects like Denon, Marantz and Yamaha as none of their streamers support Tidal, even though D&M's AV receivers do. You'd think that if a product doesn't do anything else other than 'stream' that they'd make more of an effort like Bluesound has. It's worth bearing in mind that Bluesound does support MQA so can technically stream Tidal's recently released Masters streams in MQA, although I can't vouch personally for the quality of its DAC.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I agree regarding the Tidal offering but I can also use Bubble UPnP which overcomes that issue to some extent so the Marantz streamer per se is not necessarily an issue. That said I do agree it has limited functionality.

I'll take a look at the others so thanks for the suggestions. I guess I started from Marantz as they do sem well regarded and, from the limited amount I have heard, seem to offer decent sound quality for not too expensive a price.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Rather than go for another Solid State system - have you considered going down the Valve route?

I run two systems and love the sound/presentation differences between SS and Valves...

Just a thought.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
You could buy the marantz Pm6005 not much difference between the PM6006 and then use a Yamaha WXC-50 pre for streaming its multi room compatible .

or if you want a better amp to go with the Yamaha then the marantz PM8005 as you can get a new one for £500

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Rather than go for another Solid State system - have you considered going down the Valve route?

I run two systems and love the sound/presentation differences between SS and Valves...

Just a thought.

+1

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:

Just a thought.
I have never considered valves to be honest (don't know why) and wouldn't know good from bad but have only read good things about them. If I wanted a system which incorporated the ability to stream and with a valve amp what would you suggest? Thanks for the suggestion.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
You could buy the marantz Pm6005 not much difference between the PM6006 and then use a Yamaha WXC-50 pre for streaming its multi room compatible .

or if you want a better amp to go with the Yamaha then the marantz PM8005 as you can get a new one for £500
I didn't actually know about that and it looks like a useful piece of equipment so thank you. I guess the only drawback would be lack of Tidal integration but I may be aiming for the moon with that at that price point. Nice idea though.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Paulq said:
Infiniteloop said:

Just a thought.
I have never considered valves to be honest (don't know why) and wouldn't know good from bad but have only read good things about them. If I wanted a system which incorporated the ability to stream and with a valve amp what would you suggest? Thanks for the suggestion.

There are probably loads of ways of doing it and I'm no expert on streaming, but the way I do it is to use a Macbook Pro Laptop and a Chord DAC. This allows me to stream all the music stored on the Mac Mini I have in a separate room and use as a server to my Laptop via WiFi and iTunes. I can control iTunes through an App on my iPhone. Alternatively I stream Qobuz through the Qobuz App on my laptop. Set-up is very easy and it works flawlessly.

rainsoothe

Leeps said:
The Marantz streamer is pretty limited and doesn't incorporate Tidal. I'd be inclined to look at streamers that do support the service.

How about these;

Bluesound Powernode

Bluesound Node + Marantz HD-AMP1

Arcam rPlay + Marantz HD-AMP1

Naim Unitiqute (used or ex-demo as it's been replaced now)

Naim Atom

It bemuses me how far behind many dedicated streamers are from the usual suspects like Denon, Marantz and Yamaha as none of their streamers support Tidal, even though D&M's AV receivers do. You'd think that if a product doesn't do anything else other than 'stream' that they'd make more of an effort like Bluesound has. It's worth bearing in mind that Bluesound does support MQA so can technically stream Tidal's recently released Masters streams in MQA, although I can't vouch personally for the quality of its DAC.

+1, at least for the Unitiqute/Unitilite option (with sensitive speakers, like Focal Aria 906).

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The Yamaha WX-C 50 is regularly updated so they may at some point put Tidal on the WX-50

has a very good interface you can take a photo on your iPad of each of the rooms you have and just press the picture what ever room your in by using the app .

you can also use active speakers with this unit if you wish

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
The Yamaha WX-C 50 is regularly updated so they may at some point put Tidal on the WX-50

has a very good interface you can take a photo on your iPad of each of the rooms you have and just press the picture what ever room your in by using the app .

you can also use active speakers with this unit if you wish
Thanks for the tip - that's one I'll keep my eye on.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Linn Sneaky, great sound and all in one box. Plenty of used ones available too if you are on a budget

Or plenty of other Linn one box solutions that you can pick up secondhand such as Kiko , Majik DSM etc

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Just had a quick browse on the bay and there is a lovely, mint Creek Evolution 50A in black with the optional DAC board up for 750quid, offers invited!

Cost £1200.

Reads like a very good deal.

(I have nothing to do with the sale).

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Drummerman, I normally aim for a selling price that's less than 10% of the brand new price for solid state ebayed amplifiers.

That Creek is selling for about 60%.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Drummerman, I normally aim for a selling price that's less than 10% of the brand new price for solid state ebayed amplifiers.

That Creek is selling for about 60%.

I am happy for you.

The OP is considering a £300 Marantz, perhaps an add on DAC or even higher range Marantz amps.

Whilst I dont know what is spending ceiling is I am pretty confident you won't find a Creek 50A for 10% of its RRP :)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
drummerman, in that case the Creek 50A is not an amplifier that I would buy, nor recommend that anyone else should buy.

There's plenty more fish in the sea.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
A Squeezbox Touch would be my recommendation coupled to an amp of your choosing. The Squeezebox is an amazing little box of tricks. Or if you are feeling adventurous, keep your eyes peeled for a Simple Audio Roomplayer (streamer inc. 50W ICE Power amp) on auction sites. You can pick up one up for £60-£80. This was a £600+ streamer made by ex-Linn engineers but because the company went bust there is no software support. Still works with Tidal, Deezer, Qobuz, TuneIn and local libraries. Does 24/192 gapless playback and can work with network shares / UPNP servers.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
That Raumfeld connector I mentioned earlier has Tidal inbuilt and an 8 week trial/return policy. It's inexpensive but doesn't sound cheap. It is worth a listen, and at no risk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts