Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I've been moving my kit around, and am left with:

Musical Fidelity X150 amp

Tannoy F1s

Soundstyle Z2 stands

Source - Sonos for Napster, internet radio, and mixed quality mp3s

The speakers are very close to the back wall. I won't be able to change that.

The trouble is it all sounds a little bit too 'safe'. I'd like a bit more edginess and attack to the sound. I'm terrible at describing sound - does that make any sense? I'm not after more bass - just the tracks to sound more 'gripped', and to jump out at you more, without having to mash the volume up - I listen at relatively low to medium volumes.

I listen to everything, but these HAVE to sound good:

All I Need - Air

Hurt - Johnny Cash

Hello Waveforms - William Orbit

Superstition - Stevie Wonder

Solid Air - John Martyn

Seed - Afro Celts

.977 The 80s Channel - internet radio

I have a budget of about £500 + the ebay value of whatever is being replaced, and am happy to go second hand.

Oh, and if you think new speakers, then they have to look pretty - like the Tannoy DC4T of the B&W CM1s, etc.

What do you think I should do?

Thanks!

Dazed and Confused

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm sorry; I don't think I was quite clear when I said that I have mixed quality mp3s. I meant I have files that vary from 192kbps mp3 and wma, all the way up to lossless. Napster also streams 128kbps wma I believe. What I was trying to highlight was that a system must not be so 'harsh' or analytical that it makes the lower quality stuff unlistenable. Obviously the compressed files aren't as good as the lossless ones, but that shouldn't make them unusable, and any system I get has to be able to cope with both (as I can't make internet radio or Napster lossless, and I love the massive choice). The radio's compressed, and that can sound great through the right kit.

I have been trying to audition the Regas for a while, but can't find anyone that stocks them. (They look okay, by the way, but not amazing. But I'd rather have plain and unobtrusive than down-right ugly!) I'll keep looking.

I knew everyone would pick up on the speakers, but what about the amp. Should I be looking for a more exciting one too? I don't mind ebaying the X150. I think that would give me about £800 - £900 total for an amp and speakers. Any other suggestions?

Oh, and what is this 'CD' of which you speak? And isn't tape used for sticking things together?

Dazed and Confused

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
Right, I've been through the various company websites with my girl, from a purely aesthetic point of view, and I have bad news, and good news.

The bad - the Regas aren't really cutting the mustard. I'm still going to try and audition them, as if they're great they could still make it in, as they're not an outright 'no'.

The good - the budget has consequently been increased to allow for sexier speakers. These are the current front runners:

Tannoy DC4T, Tannoy DC6T, B&W XT4, B&W CM7.

What do people think? Will they give me that extra something I'm looking for? How will they cope being near to a wall?

Any alternatives?

(We've decied we hate speakers with the black speaker covers on (except on the XT4s where it is integral to the design), but also dislike the holes for the covers to go in. The Tannoys and CM7s have magnetic grills. Clever! I know it's shallow, but why can't we haveing something that looks and sounds good. Eyes are just as important as ears!)

Thanks for all your help so far! (Chebby - unfortunately I don't really lisetn to UK radio, but I'll definitely try Freeview radio, as there's no reason not to start!)

John Duncan

Oh well if you want pretty and now have a grand to spend, that's a completely different matter. Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature in ebony. Totem Arros in any finish you like. Tough on the holes front though.......

Dazed and Confused

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
Those Totem Arros are lovely. And no holes!

What about the sound? I'm never going to be able to find, let alone audition, all of them, so am going to need to cut the list down.

Bearing in ming what I said about what I'm looking for in my first post, and placement near a wall, what should be on my short list? Are the B&Ws too bassy for near the walls?

Also, I dont have to spend to a grand! The smaller Tannoys are only about 2/3rds the price, and if they can do 95% of the job of the more pricey ones, and look great while doing it, then I'll happily keep the rest of the cash for holidays!

John Duncan

[quote user="Dazed and Confused"]if they can do 95% of the job of the more pricey ones, and look great while doing it, then I'll happily keep the rest of the cash for holidays![/quote]

You haven't quite got the hang of this, have you?
emotion-5.gif

Don't worry, we'll soon have you spending £1,100 on Spendor SA1s or £1,300 on PMC GB1i's........
emotion-2.gif
........I have still to find a pair of Totem Arros, never mind hear them, but I read a fantastic review on a Canadian website, and I think our very own Thaiman (Mr High End) had a pair, and liked them very much (IIRC).

In general though, if you want nice-looking (and -sounding) speakers without spending too much, I'd get standmounts rather than floorstanders, and look at the Proacs (normal or Signature) or PMC DB1s.........

Dazed and Confused

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
I'm currently blowing hot and cold with standmounts. One minute I like, the next not so much. I think it's because it's so hard to find stands that don't let the whole look down. The good ones that I've heard all look so 'heavy', or don't match the aesthetics of the speakers so well.

And I don't need any help driving my budget up and up - but thanks anyway!
emotion-5.gif

John Duncan

No, I don't, and they're 1500 quid (including the 400 quid stands)
emotion-1.gif

I don't have them - I auditioned them a couple of weeks ago and wasn't convinced (though admittedly I didn't have my own material with me, which doesn't really count), but am not ruling them out just yet, since they're so bloody gorgeous.

Igglebert has a pair and loves them.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Dazed and Confused"]
Hi,

I've been moving my kit around, and am left with:

Musical Fidelity X150 amp

Tannoy F1s

Soundstyle Z2 stands

Source - Sonos for Napster, internet radio, and mixed quality mp3s

The speakers are very close to the back wall. I won't be able to change that.

The trouble is it all sounds a little bit too 'safe'. I'd like a bit more edginess and attack to the sound. I'm terrible at describing sound - does that make any sense? I'm not after more bass - just the tracks to sound more 'gripped', and to jump out at you more, without having to mash the volume up - I listen at relatively low to medium volumes.

I listen to everything, but these HAVE to sound good:

All I Need - Air

Hurt - Johnny Cash

Hello Waveforms - William Orbit

Superstition - Stevie Wonder

Solid Air - John Martyn

Seed - Afro Celts

.977 The 80s Channel - internet radio

I have a budget of about £500 + the ebay value of whatever is being replaced, and am happy to go second hand.

Oh, and if you think new speakers, then they have to look pretty - like the Tannoy DC4T of the B&W CM1s, etc.

What do you think I should do?

Thanks!
[/quote]Something unobtrusive, that's looks good, sounds great and isn't fussy about positioning (apparently, according to Hifi Choice...)....I'm surprised no one has yet suggested you to take a look at the Avi Adm9 Costs 1000 pounds. As an added bonus, the sonos would seamlessly fit in. Just connect them with a digital cable to the Adm9's Dac built into the speakers. The speakers have amps built in too.

A

Anonymous

A bit garish no?? esp the stands.
emotion-5.gif

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]I auditioned them a couple of weeks ago and wasn't convinced[/quote]

Maybe the compatability chart was right?? (actually did you demo them with Primare?)

John Duncan

Yes, had my amp with me but not my CD player - started off with an Arcam and then a Roksan Caspian, but they didn't light up like I was expecting them to - the vocal presentation was a bit recessed in the mix for my taste - the guy in the shop loved the combo and didn't know what I was fussing about. Maybe it's the source material - have got the amp home (thread elsewhere) and I'm loving it with my PMCs (and had my diamonds on the end of it briefly, and they sounded fantastic too), so maybe a home demo is in order.

And one man's garish is another man's gorge - the picture doesn't tell how how pretty they are in the flesh (in zebrano anyway - the wenge is a bit dull), though I have to say I couldn't bring myself to pay 400 quid for stands, so I'd be stuck with my plain black ones
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]so maybe a home demo is in order.[/quote]

That would be perfect. I mean what if Journey didn't sound good through them??!! Hope it works out in the end - You've had your eyes on them for a while now
emotion-1.gif

Dazed and Confused

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan! You've just sneakily tried to add 50% to my budget! Naughty!
emotion-5.gif

Now, who do people think about the more affordable choices I put forward earlier?

And those active speakers look cool - I'd need to find out more about them though. Like what's the power drain like leaving them on 24/7?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts