Searching for a speaker system with CD player and radio for under £600

juggothy

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking for a set of speakers for my Dad's birthday that are going to be used in the kitchen and as a main speaker system for small gatherings. CD player and radio are essential.

The only one I can find is the Bose Wave Music System III but the reviews aren't very good - a lot of them saying that the CD player on it is glitchy and the most important part for me is the CD player as my Dad has such an extensive collection. The price is also a slight issue but as £600 is the maximum we will spend, the price of the Bose isn't unachievable.

Help please!!!

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Marantz MCR610 + Dali Zensor 3 or Q Acoustics 2020i... you can get that in some shops as a package/ deal so the price is even lower. I would normally recommend active speakers but can't think now of an CD player and FM radio with pre outs all at the same time... however you can always use headphone out > appropriate cable > some actives.. sounds divine

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
In a way, I'd agree with the previous poster. In terms of outright sound quality, a decent pair of budget speakers and something like the Marantz would get the best sound for your pound.

However, you did indicate that you'd want the system to have a measure of portability, which a traditional mini system & speakers or separates & speakers are less successful at. Also, siting two speakers in a kitchen might be awkward.

in which case I'd recommend the Ruark R4. They're extremely well made bits of kit with an excellent pedigree. Ruark used to make beautiful midrange to high end speakers for many years, but ditched the business in favour of its current range of kit, but they have a lot of expertise and know how to make a quality product.

The Ruark R4 seems to tick all the boxes for you: portability, CD player, radio and on budget.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Leeps said:
In a way, I'd agree with the previous poster. In terms of outright sound quality, a decent pair of budget speakers and something like the Marantz would get the best sound for your pound.

However, you did indicate that you'd want the system to have a measure of portability, which a traditional mini system & speakers or separates & speakers are less successful at. Also, siting two speakers in a kitchen might be awkward.

in which case I'd recommend the Ruark R4. They're extremely well made bits of kit with an excellent pedigree. Ruark used to make beautiful midrange to high end speakers for many years, but ditched the business in favour of its current range of kit, but they have a lot of expertise and know how to make a quality product.

The Ruark R4 seems to tick all the boxes for you: portability, CD player, radio and on budget.

Spot on, if one box convenience is important the R4 over the Bose every time.

If a more conventional setup is wanted the Marantz packages mentioned above would be my choice too.

Yes, an enthusiast mught well be able to put something together using active speakers that will sound superior but I don't think that is what is wanted in this instance.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
If he has wifi, have you thought about just buying a pair of good, small active wifi speakers and a subscription to Spotify? Then he could also stream internet radio. Rather than having loads of boxes everywhere in the kitchen. The link below is for some excellent innovative speakers which are only 16cm tall but have great quality...and the system can be expanded for multi-room. No CDP, but why do you need one when you have Spotify?

http://nocs.se/products/ns2-air-monitors-v2

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
There's a good package combining the Marantz M-CR610 CD / DAB / Network System and Monitor Audio Bronze BX1 Speakers. Available at the moment for £499. Just do a google search for it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts