Scratches

cliffster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Evening all.

Finally been convinced to give up my trusty Nokia 6300 and move to a smartphone!

Have just purchased a used 32gb 3gs for a good price, seems to be working perfectly but is looking a little tatty around the edges, the screen has quite a few minor scratches, not deep but definately visable.

I don't think they are bad enough to warrant a screen replacement but I was wondering if anyone knows of a product capable of 'buffing out' the scratches?

Also, as there doesn't seem to be any way of visably differentiating between the 3g and 3gs, how do I check to make sure I haven't been done? :doh:

Thanks in advance.

Cliff.

A

Anonymous

Don't try to buff out the scratches or you'll ruin the screen. I'm not sure about UK prices, but here in Ireland it's only e30 including fitting for a new 3GS screen, so should be similar in Blighty, perhaps get one fitted?

cliffster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the link BB, turns out it is a 3gs good news!

Have ordered a silicone case and a screen protector from the bay and Amazon respectively so only I will know the scratches are there.

The question is whether knowing will keep me awake at night! :O

Oh how I hate being a perfectionist! :doh: .

Thanks for the reply.

Cliff.

cliffster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Max,

Going to try a good quality screen protector first, see if that helps, if not it's off to the doctors for it !

Thanks for the reply,

Cliff.

AVLee

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
this has probably been asked already,

but i heard the iPhone 5 is due out septemeber time and thats when my current contract ends on the iPhone4, thing is, my screen is smashed to pieces and im reluctant to let some guy in a shopping centre charge me 60-70 for a replacement in 20 mins...is there a more reliable alternative? perhaps taking it somewhere to get fixed? what prices should i be looking at...im quite prepared to wait until the 5 is out, unless a new screen is about 20-30 sheets...im in the UK (obviously )

any help is appreciated, and sorry to hijack this thread :s

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
AVLee said:
this has probably been asked already, but i heard the iPhone 5 is due out septemeber time and thats when my current contract ends on the iPhone4, thing is, my screen is smashed to pieces and im reluctant to let some guy in a shopping centre charge me 60-70 for a replacement in 20 mins...is there a more reliable alternative? perhaps taking it somewhere to get fixed? what prices should i be looking at...im quite prepared to wait until the 5 is out, unless a new screen is about 20-30 sheets...im in the UK (obviously ) any help is appreciated, and sorry to hijack this thread :s

Hi AVLee,

First go to

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iPhone-4-Display-Assembly/3148/1

These are full step by step instructions on changing the screen and digitiser (they are one unit so you have to change them both). If after looking through this, you fancy your skills with a selection of screwdrivers and a 'spudger', then type 'iphone 4 screen and digitiser' into the 'Bay of E' (they are about £20-25 for a full kit with tools) and give it a go.

One tip my son has (being 17 years old, he always manages to find the hardest and most solid place to drop his iPhone and although he has got away with it many times, he has had to change his screen himself a couple of times) is also to get some double sided tape and a sheet of a4 paper. He writes the step number next to each piece of tape he sticks on the paper and then sticks the relevant screws and electronics on to the tape. I have suggested buying a protective case, but that's just 'sad' apparently !!

Hope that's some help.

Rob

cliffster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok, update.

Had a look on youtube at some 3gs sreen and back case replacement videos. Turns out the iphone is a very complicated little bit of kit.

I would possibly have a bash at replacing the digitiser but to be honest replacing the back case seems beyond my skill set.

So, looked again on t'web and found a very professional looking outfit in Nottingham called 'the computer room' emailed a nice chap called Leon and he's going to replace the back panal and digitiser for £49 all in.

Dropping it off in the morning.

Phone cost me £90 + my old 6300 as a swap, checked on ebay and you don't seem to see many 32gb units going for much less than £230 so I'm pretty happy all told.

Obviously it's a new toy to me but I can't seem to be able to put the damn thing down! :) It's not that often that a thing surpasses expectations but this certainly has.

Should have jumped ages ago.

Cliff.

A

Anonymous

That's a good price for a new screen and back, the screen is a ten minute job but the back is very tricky and time consuming to change as all the innards of the phone are connected to it.

You won't know yourself when it's done :)

AVLee

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
yeah that was the plan, but itunes won't install on my computer, gets to 'publishing information' then bombs out, so i cant sync it up to my computer and i have loads of purchased music and pics on it...the genius bar near me (Basingstoke) would just hand me a new phone and everything would be left on my old phone....

its not even on ios5.1 or what ever it is now :(

cliffster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Job done!

New back, new screen, looks like a new phone. Delighted :dance:

So It basically stands me at £140 for a 32 gb phone which looks like a new phone.

One thing though, during my search for a cheap new phone I couldn't believe the number of people who had damaged their screens and thrown the phones away once they had received a pricey quote from Apple:doh: .

The local recycling men must be making a fortune fixing them up and selling them on! :cheers:

Cliff.

cliffster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Lee, if you take it to Apple be prepared to pay through the nose.

My advice is to find a local independant you trust and see what he can do.

Cliff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts