SC-LX82 or SC-LX72

scene

I'm thinking of upgrading my AVR250 for a newer amp with on-board HD audio processing and HDMI in. I was thinking that the Pioneer SC-LX82 was the natural choice, given that my living room is 5.8x6.3m, with a 2.35m ceiling height, rather than the SC-LX72. Partly this view was based on the THX Ultra 2 plus rating and my room size and also because of comments I've seen that the LX82 is more musical.
Thing is, there's nearly £400 between the LX72 and LX82 and, what with all my other purchases this year, I need to justify the extra cost. Question is, is the LX82 worth the extra money? Do I really need it, or would the LX72 be just a good?
In fact, I suppose I have to ask it, is either the right choice, or should I be throwing some other amps into the mix?

A

Anonymous

Scene, not much between the 72 and 82, both are air studio tuned and have ice amps, but one is thx ultra and they other thx select, and a little higher wattage on the 82 as well.

For the difference if you can push it, ask dave at frank harvey for a quote for the 72 and some rx6's
emotion-5.gif

I was happy with my deal, but then again if nothing wrong with your current ma speakers then maybe not worth doing.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
scene:I'm thinking of upgrading my AVR250 for a newer amp with on-board HD audio processing and HDMI in. I was thinking that the Pioneer SC-LX82 was the natural choice, given that my living room is 5.8x6.3m, with a 2.35m ceiling height, rather than the SC-LX72.

In a room that size i'd certainly be looking at Pioneer 'LX82 - the added musicality is a bonus along with the extra power (and it has to be said that the Pioneer's music streaming capabilities are decent, too).

Another option to consider for your set-up - if you can track one down - is Yamaha's DSP-Z7.

scene

Clare Newsome:
scene:I'm thinking of upgrading my AVR250 for a newer amp with on-board HD audio processing and HDMI in. I was thinking that the Pioneer SC-LX82 was the natural choice, given that my living room is 5.8x6.3m, with a 2.35m ceiling height, rather than the SC-LX72.

In a room that size i'd certainly be looking at Pioneer 'LX82 - the added musicality is a bonus along with the extra power (and it has to be said that the Pioneer's music streaming capabilities are decent, too).

Another option to consider for your set-up - if you can track one down - is Yamaha's DSP-Z7.

OK, I'd sort of thought the same about the SC-LX82 vs. SC-LX72, but I wasn't 100% certain.

As for the DSP-Z7, thanks for that, I'll have a look to see if their are any around...

A

Anonymous

I'd agree with Clare the LX82 would provide a very noticeable difference.

The DSP-Z7 is an awesome receiver, if you like a really thick rich sound I would give one of these a try.

scene

I suppose now I've opened up the whole can of "what other amps should I look at"
emotion-3.gif
, what other amps should I consider? Should I also consider WHF's favourite the Sony STR-DA5400ES as well, say?

A

Anonymous

No DLNA if thats your bag.

I think the pioneer sc-lx 72 and 82 would beat the Sony, but hey I am a noobie to all this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts