Samsung warranty

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
I'm thinking of buying a Samsung 40 C8000 TV, and am wondering whether to pay an extra 10% for a 5 year warranty as the Samsung warranty is only for one year. I've long stopped buying extra warranties for fridges etc and have been quids in as they have always lasted for for than 5 years, but not so for PCs and have sent laptops back for repair more than once. I should add that all my TVs so far have lasted way beyond 5 years.

I'd welcome views on the pros and cons of extended warranties seing as TVs are getting more complicated with PC like faclities.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mike,

Personally I would never buy a warranty for a tv, or any other electronic device and here's why:

1) If I'm not mistaken you're covered by law that the item you buy should have a life expectancy one can expect of such a product. I don't live in Great Britain, but if I remember correctly the sales and goods act covers this.

2) Secondly, in my experiences electronic gears either packs up within a year or keeps working for years until I want to replace it with an upgrade

3) Thirdly warranties in general are only useful for sudden mishaps that one cannot afford to pay at once.

Just think of all the money you can save by not paying monthly fees for appliences that work perfectly well. Chances are that the money you save can buy you a new tv in the unfortunate circumstance that it should die prematurely.

I would recommend buying the samsung without a warranty and haggle for a good price. Good luck!

A

Anonymous

Cashback deal runs out on the 31st October. Not sure what follows but cant see the price going back up.Bought my 55inch Samsung from Peter Tyson in Carlisle. A bit dearer but they gave a 5 year warranty from the shop and they are samsung service agents so its not just an insurance based one.

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
Thinking of Richer Sounds who say they will match online offers (Electricshop) and which will be cheaper than John Lewis even after paying for a 5 year warranty. My thoughts, though, are of not taking out any extra warranty.

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
In the end I popped down to JL at the Trafford Centre and bought a Samsung C8000 for £1329.95 inc cash back. RS quoted £1364.97 with a 5 yr warranty but would have come down to £1,278.98 to match Electricshop. I chose JL because of the warranty and convenience of other shopping. The quoted RS price before warranty and delivery was £1,199.95 inc cashback.

The demo was not entirely satisfactory. On first viewing of a darts programme the C8000 had a red caste compared with a Sony but was the sharper of the two. A C7000 showed much better skin colours albeit on a difference channel or video. I had the C8000 adjusted to look better and was shown the various adjustments possible but could not go back to the original offending programme.

JL will take my old CRT away for £9, another bonus because it weighs a ton.

When the C8000 arrives, I might be back asking for advice on picture adjustments etc.

A

Anonymous

Shame I'm late on this one. I'd normally go John Lewis (or any independent that offers 5 year warranty) for peace of mind unless the non warranty deal in question was superb.

Superaintit, I hear what you are saying, I purchased a Panasonic HD camcorder that had a fault from day one, because I shoot my footage and edit at a later date I only discovered that the soundtrack was picking up an annoying beep which was an inherent fault that existed from day one. Amazon (the seller) refused to take it back or look at it, fortunately after a lot of hassle and threats Panasonic agreed to look at the camcorder and repaired it.

Anyway, bought a C8000 at the weekend too.

Firmware on this set was updated on the Samsung website 29th October although some have reported issues (with 3D capability), you have to install via USB the online facility wasn't working (for me). Prior to the latest firmware I had an issue in that signals from my AV amp weren't always recognised, it would all operate correctly until you put everything into standby, to fix the issue I had to turn the set off and on again at the plug for it to work.

Enjoy your C8000 !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts