Samsung LE40B550 v LE40C580...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Wondered if anyone could help? I was all set to buy the Samsung LE40B550 but, on checking Amazon, I was informed of the 'newer model' LE40C580 (released, i think, at the end of May 2010). Anybody got any feedback/information on this set? Plenty of places have it for sale, but I can't find any reviews anywhere and even the Samsung website doesn't list it - only the 37" model!

As it's cheaper than the older model, plus has Freeview HD, it seems like a much better deal...

A

Anonymous

I was wondering exactly the same thing! Any help would be much appreciated!

A

Anonymous

Hi all i have just bought the LE40C580 and i can tell you it is outstanding, I have compared it to my LE40B650 and can tell you the C580 has got the edge with picture quality also the sound is a massive step up, Also you can now play all Movie formats via the usb input hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Bought mine from Comet (of all places!) a few weeks ago. Had the same issues as everyone else - no reviews, Samsung not even listing it etc. Took a leap of faith and haven't been disappointed - the set is fantastic especially considering the sub £600 price. Picture quality is great, sound is more than good enough and it's got every connection you could need.

The USB connections work really well if you want to hook up a USB key/drive to play your movies. I also have mine linked up over the Ethernet connection to one of my PCs running Windows Media Player (XP SP3/WMP11) as a DNLA server to stream my movies across - works really well. Via USB or DNLA streaming it plays 99% of my movie files without a hitch (MP4, DivX, Xvid, MPG, MKV, WMV) plus my audio files and pictures too. I've only had the odd one or two come up as unsupported which isn't surprising - nothing supports 100% of files! The interface is OK - it could be a little more flexible if I'm being picky but it does the job just fine. If you have large amounts of files it can take a while to list them and if you have very large amounts listed in one directory/genre/actor etc then it occasionally gives up reading them all and says there's nothing there. Split them up a bit into sub genres etc and it works every time. Works better than my old Pinnacle Showcentre and saved me buying a Acer Revo to use as a Movie streamer. BTW if you run Media Player on Windows 7 you can even push a file/playlist onto the TV from your computer, rather than using the TV pull it from your machine. If you push the file it takes over the TV regardless of what is on the TV at the time - perfect for winding up members of your family when they are in the middle of Eastenders! ;-)

All in all well chuffed with it and would recommend it to anyone.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for quick response guys, Have gone ahead and bought one off amazon for under 500! As it is mainly for gaming on my xbox, sounds like a fairly good buy to me! Cheers!

A

Anonymous

Nice one - cheers for the replies! Reckon if it's good enough for at least 3 people on here, it'll do the trick...

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know if the 580 has the auto-dimming backlight facility and if so can it be disabled? Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts