Samsung LE40A656 or Sony KDL40W3000?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

Thought id be able to decide for myself but a little advice surely wont hurt!

Simply i need a LCD television in the price range of £1200 and have narrowed it down to the Samsung LE40A656 or the Sony KDL40W3000.

I am mainly interested in picture quality (and 1080p for my PS3 and blueray).

At the mo im slightly leaning towards the Samsung as it has 100Hz motion plus (i like my sports!) but does it make that much of a difference?

Also (please bear with me!), i am looking for a double arm wall mount for whichever i choose. Why do the cheaper ones for smaller screens have a weight limit around that of the larger screens? Would a wall mount rated up to 37" hold a 40" if the screen was under the mounts weight limit?

Thanks for your time

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi there, and welcome to the Forums!

Both are superb sets, but i'd lean towards the Samsung, too - every new-season set we've seen so far has been a slight improvement over 2007 models,and the specs are resolutely Full HD friendly.

100Hz is a matter of taste, IMHO, and not the only element in an LCD's design that effects fast-motion handling; we've seen great 50Hz sets look smoother than poor 100hz sets, due to superior picture processing, for example.

Having said that, we particular praised the Samsung - in our review, here - for its motion-handling.

Re wall-mounts- i'm no expert on them, but I believe the size rating isn't just about weight limits - it's to do with the width of the supports etc, designed to line-up with specific mounting points on the set.

Anyone know any more on mounts?

A

Anonymous

Hi

Thanks for the fast reply, and the review was very helpful and reassurring. Now i need to find a bargain!

I had a feeling that the mounts for lesser sizes would have different mounting holes etc, but wanted to be sure. It would pain me paying around £100 for a 40" mount if i later found a way of fitting a lesser mount for half the price!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The average price seems to be just over £1100. This John Lewis deal - at £1149 - could be tempting, as you get their five-year warranty as well (and they may price match cheaper offers, too - search on the forums for John Lewis price match and you'll find plenty of people who've done that).

A

Anonymous

Thats a good deal! I had found the Sony for £1060 with a five year guarantee at robertwhyteltd but for the extra £89 this sounds tempting. Now do i melt my flexible friend or wait next month until pay day? Think ill take a look at the price match first.

A

Anonymous

Just Ordered the LE40A656A1F from Empiredirect including delivery for £1129.99 with a 3 year warrenty, sweet.

A

Anonymous

Another good deal, thanks a lot! Reckon ive got about 3 weeks to kill before i splash out so please keep them coming if you find any!

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Dixons are today advertising the set at £919 after discounts! You couldnt make it for that!! Seriously though isnt it amazing how quickly products are discounted these days.... Are you listening Sky HD...?!

A

Anonymous

Depends on how much Ply he'd need to use
emotion-8.gif

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Oh and by the way whilst we re (sort of) on the subject of the Sammy im really keen to buy but the red puts me off a little... going to be wall mounting next to celestion AVS 501s and im worried it wont look as slick as a black set. Any thoughts? Will the red be less noticable against a wall? No chance of the black version like the usa i guess?

A

Anonymous

hi

the red surround is hardly noticeable, more so in daylight.

and you can also pick up the 656 for £822 at costco's

well worth it

A

Anonymous

Hi again

Finally ordered the samsung, £999 from robertwhyteltd with a free blueray player. also got a 5 yr warranty for best part of 40 notes. Out of stock at the mo (typical) but was told they would have new stock at start of june.

I too am a tad worried about the red tint, as my living room is browns and creams. Would have preferred black. Hopefully it wont be too noticeable as said, if it is the paintbrush might have to come out!

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Ive seen it in a couple of environments now with different lighting set ups. Im pretty sure you ll hardly notice it.. ..unless youve got light behind it or its close to a window. Sweet deal... what player did you get? Might have to investigate....

A

Anonymous

The player is a samung BDP1400. Dont know much about it performance wise, but it seems many places are cutting its price (play.com has it at £200). Maybe its an older model about to be replaced, but as its free im not too fussed! Hopefully should all be here next week.

P.s It said on the website that the deal ends on 28th of May, thats one of the reasons i bought it. Having checked just now its still on.

http://www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk/Sites/itemview.asp?productx=LE40A656%20AND%20BDP1400

The 5 year warranty is optional but loads cheaper than other sites are offering.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts