Samsung LE37R88BD -vs- Panasonic TH37PX70

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Being in that great post-xmas shiny toy pondering stage, I'm thinking of getting a nice new tv for my lounge, instead of a smaller one for my bedroom. So, after a combination of perusing recent issues and some googling, I've found the following two sets:

1) Samsung LE37R88BD for £499.99
2) Panasonic TH37PX70 for £664.43 (theoretically £583.00, but not in stock there right now)

Now, in the August supertest the Panasonic just pipped the post (with prices of 850/1000). I guess they'll both still be considered good sets now, a mere 4/5 months later, so unless something else crops up (suggestions welcome), I'll probably end up going for one of these. I'm just not sure which right now. Thoughts?

A

Anonymous

No Contest: Panasonic TH37PX70...No need to say anymore

A

Anonymous

I ordered the Panasonic at Empire Direct for £549.99 a few days ago - the price has now gone up to £569.99 (+ £30 delivery). The website says that the TV is in stock at the moment.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="NooNoo"]
I ordered the Panasonic at Empire Direct for £549.99 a few days ago - the price has now gone up to £569.99 (+ £30 delivery). The website says that the TV is in stock at the moment.

[/quote]

That's the panel-only price. To get it with the pedestal they charge £649.99 plus delivery.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Tallyho"]
No Contest: Panasonic TH37PX70...No need to say anymore
[/quote]

Well, I just went and looked at both of them in a Currys store. Have to agree that the Panasonic screen really is drool-worthy. The surround isn't anywhere near as nice mind you, but I'm not going to let that impact on my decision in any way.

And I've noticed that I can get the TH42PX70 for £695, which is only like another 30 quid more. So, since I think I'm leaning quite heavily towards the Panasonic now, that then leads to the question of whether or not the 42 is too big for the room, or just on the very upper limit of watchable. The distance from tv to sofa is about 2m iirc, so what do you think, 37" or stretch up to the 42"?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="knewt"]I'll probably end up going for one of these. I'm just not sure which right now. Thoughts?[/quote]

The Panasonic. It was our Best Buy 37in TV in the 2007 Awards, and that was at £1000. At around £660 it's a superb buy - go for it!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy Clough"]
[quote user="knewt"]I'll probably end up going for one of these. I'm just not sure which right now. Thoughts?[/quote]

The Panasonic. It was our Best Buy 37in TV in the 2007 Awards, and that was at £1000. At around £660 it's a superb buy - go for it!

[/quote]

Thanks Andy. I'd pretty much came to the same conclusion after just looking at both of them in person (even if the colour levels etc were all over the place of course). What do you think regarding the 37" vs 42" choice for a (for the forseeable future) 2m viewing distance? Since it's only 30 quid between the two :)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy Clough"]
At 2m viewing distance, I'd go for the 37in. We usually recommend a min distance of 3.5-4m for a 42in.

[/quote]

Ah, right. In that case yeah, I guess the 37 it is, since I'm not likely to have a bigger room any time reasonably soon. Thanks for the help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts