Samsung’s QD-OLED can only hit 1000 nits - haha

• Thread starter Deleted member 197450
  • Start date

Curlyriff

Feb 1, 2022
Visit site
It’s a 1000 nits on a 10 per cent patch which is what OLEDs are traditionally measured on. Basically most OLED TVs can hit 1000 nits in dynamic mode picture setting on a 10 per cent patch too.

That isn't true though. For instance,
The LG C1 is around 750Nits at 10%
The HZ2000 from Panasonic is around 840Nits at 10%
The Philips 935 is about 690Nits at 10%
The Sony A9G is 600Nits at 10%

So no basically most OLED's cannot hit 1000Nits at 10%

D

Deleted member 197450

That isn't true though. For instance,
The LG C1 is around 750Nits at 10%
The HZ2000 from Panasonic is around 840Nits at 10%
The Philips 935 is about 690Nits at 10%
The Sony A9G is 600Nits at 10%

So no basically most OLED's cannot hit 1000Nits at 10%
I said in dynamic mode which is true.

D

Deleted member 197450

Anyway 160 nits for the Panasonic OLED away from the 1000 nits is nothing in terms of brightness.

Curlyriff

Feb 1, 2022
Visit site
I said in dynamic mode which is true.

The Sony as example gets to 750Nits so still 250Nits away. Yes the Panasonic gets close with it being around 920Nits but that is actually an outlier to most OLED panels and their 10% dynamic range. The G1 is actually also pretty solid performance wise around 830Nits.

The QN95A/90A, C1, A90J, X90J are all much similar with it much closer to the 750Nit figure than the 1k figure. It should be noted that also most at 1% and 10% are generally pretty close too so the 3% at 1500Nits is still impressive and likely means the range from 3% to 10% are generally better.

Dismissing 160Nits though is a little short sighted I feel personally.

D

Deleted member 197450

The Sony as example gets to 750Nits so still 250Nits away. Yes the Panasonic gets close with it being around 920Nits but that is actually an outlier to most OLED panels and their 10% dynamic range. The G1 is actually also pretty solid performance wise around 830Nits.

The QN95A/90A, C1, A90J, X90J are all much similar with it much closer to the 750Nit figure than the 1k figure. It should be noted that also most at 1% and 10% are generally pretty close too so the 3% at 1500Nits is still impressive and likely means the range from 3% to 10% are generally better.

Dismissing 160Nits though is a little short sighted I feel personally.

Curlyriff

Feb 1, 2022
Visit site
D

Deleted member 197450

It was Philips TVs that I read hit over 900 nits and close to 1000 nits see here:

And this was the 806 with all the increased brightness manufacturers have been claiming for the likes of the G2 and Philips new OLED isn’t it plausible to say OLED TVs reach 900-1000 nits in a statement?

D

Deleted member 197450

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/p2h8sp/samsung_2022_oled_tv_specs_revealed_4k_1000_nits/

Samsung 4K OLED 1000 nits

LG G2 20-30 more brighter

Philips EX OLED model more brighter

Like the link says the difference in 150 nits is nothing which I already told you. In fact 250 nits difference is nothing too from what I have witness from my OLED purchases so for you to keep claiming 750 nits is not 1000 nits is short sighted in my opinion too of you. When the numbers of OLED TVs have hit far greater numbers too and will only get better.

Curlyriff

Feb 1, 2022
Visit site
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/p2h8sp/samsung_2022_oled_tv_specs_revealed_4k_1000_nits/

Samsung 4K OLED 1000 nits

LG G2 20-30 more brighter

Philips EX OLED model more brighter

Like the link says the difference in 150 nits is nothing which I already told you. In fact 250 nits difference is nothing too from what I have witness from my OLED purchases so for you to keep claiming 750 nits is not 1000 nits is short sighted in my opinion too of you. When the numbers of OLED TVs have hit far greater numbers too and will only get better.

Right okay.

I understand that you have decided 750Nits is not much difference to 1000Nits (I can only compare to 900Nits what I have available since 1000Nits isn't something I have tested in person cause I have never had any of the above panels discuss ever hit more than 900Nits so that is where I am questioning that TVs can hit 1000Nits.

That is the untrue statement to the full. You have yet to show a single TV actually gets to 1000Nits regardless if you can see the difference.

I have not found that true at all and the difference is noticable at the 10% point between 750Nits to 900Nits in my opinion.

Now since we haven't really had 1000Nits on most TV's at the 10% range it is hard to quantify if it is any good.

Further to that yeah you linked a video discussing that the brightness to a different tech and where their brightness isn't good for more than 10 seconds or whatever. Okay right? Is it the concern now that the 10% 1000Nits shown for QD-OLED will have similar issue?

Now you are pulling in irrelevant information and data about a comment you've made which you have not once shown evidence of. I really don't understand the principle of what you are trying to prove with zero data showing your comment. Anyways I will leave it there cause this isn't going anywhere because I really don't think you are correct and haven't shown anything at all and just shifted goalposts.

Thanks for the conversation though.

Curlyriff

Feb 1, 2022
Visit site
I don't think things are proven one way or the other through YouTube links, though.

I mean all I was stating is that 1000Nits at 10% isn't a thing for an OLED TV. That hasn't been shown from a single article or own testing. At best 920Nits was the highest figure. Yeah can you get a TV there, course. Are there a couple out there capable? Probably but it isn't a standard thing for an OLED tv and not what was posted to dismiss the point that Samsung has achieved with this.

Is having a mega-bright screen any practical benefit at home? Maybe for store settings, but surely not in a typical domestic environment?

When our 2021 model LG OLED55 B1 arrived yesterday, within minutes I’d reduced the Contrast from 100 to about 75, and upped the brightness a bit. It’s blooming marvellous though!

Is having a mega-bright screen any practical benefit at home? Maybe for store settings, but surely not in a typical domestic environment?
It's not about the entire screen going bright. One of the main aspects to HDR performance is creating realistic highlights. The brighter these small areas of the screen are, the better is the HDR performance. For example, a glint off an aircraft's metallic skin.

Reactions: nopiano
It's not about the entire screen going bright. One of the main aspects to HDR performance is creating realistic highlights. The brighter these small areas of the screen are, the better is the HDR performance. For example, a glint off an aircraft's metallic skin.
That’s a really good point - I’d not grasped that, but it’s exactly what I see on Green Planet, as the sun glints off dew drops, for example. I get it now!

Reactions: bigboss

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts