Sample rates?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
How important are sample rates on a DAC? Is the number a good indicator of sound quality? In fact, what exactly are sample rates?

I'm considering an amp with a built in USB-only DAC (it's a musical fidelity A5.5) and i noticed it has 32, 44.1, 48 kHz sample rates. My other option is a different amp with a DACmagic and an optical connection which i see goes up to 96 kHz. Does this mean the DACmagic would be a better performer or does it depend more on the quality of components used?

Cheers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Unless the DAC is able to upsample, the sample rates merely show the signals the DAC can accept and process. The mere ability to accept higher sample rates doesn't mean a DAC will sound better.

A

Anonymous

If CD is only 44.1kHz then when would I come accross a 96kHz signal? WHat would a lossless mp3 play at?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You will also find that the (optical) digital audio output from DVD/Blu-Ray players and recorders are 24 bit / 96khz.

So having a DAC with (at least) 24bit/96khz capability on SPDIF is useful if you want to bypass the cheap analogue audio output stages built in to most DVD player/recorders, and plug straight into a superior external DAC for DVD sound or Freeview radio for instance.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The DVD player output may be capable of 24-bit/96kHz, but very little material is actually available in this format.

And of course stereo DACs can't handle the Dolby Digital/DTS multichannel output from discs.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
The DVD player output may be capable of 24-bit/96kHz, but very little material is actually available in this format.

And of course stereo DACs can't handle the Dolby Digital/DTS multichannel output from discs.

Thanks.

I was thinking about people who want a higher quality 2 channel option than the L & R RCA phono outputs you find on the back of a DVD player.

Obviously the user would have to toggle the DVD/Blu-Ray player's digital audio settings to PCM (if they are not using Dolby/DTS) before connecting to a DAC. Then the 2 channel audio output from discs is fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts