Safely disconnecting & re-installing my external drives

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Based on a previous bad experience coupled with my well established capacity for messing up simple technical tasks, I'd like to know the procedure for safely disconnecting and re-installing my external drives from my Mac.

We're moving the computer and two external drives to another room (baby no.3, on it's way!!), and I don't want to do anything to harm my large digital music collection.

Do I simply click on the ext. drive icon and drag it to the trash or even just select eject? Is the large circular button on the WD drive an on/off button or am I being really stupid here? My other drive, a Seagate, I think, hasn't got any such buttons.

What's to do??

Thanks.

John Duncan

Charlie Jefferson:Based on a previous bad experience coupled with my well established capacity for messing up simple technical tasks, I'd like to know the procedure for safely disconnecting and re-installing my external drives from my Mac.

We're moving the computer and two external drives to another room (baby no.3, on it's way!!), and I don't want to do anything to harm my large digital music collection.

Do I simply click on the ext. drive icon and drag it to the trash or even just select eject? Is the large circular button on the WD drive an on/off button or am I being really stupid here? My other drive, a Seagate, I think, hasn't got any such buttons.

What's to do??

Thanks.

Right click and eject, then disconnect. Don't drag it to the trash...

idc

CJ, just switch off the computer as you would normally do. Switch off the WD with the big button. Unplug everything, move it and plug it all back in again as before. The computer and hard drives do not know they have been physically moved. They have just been switched off and back on again.

Do not eject, drag or anything like that. You can physically unplug a hard drive from a computer and plug it back in again to your hearts content. It will find it self, so long as you do not do anything else.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts