Safe to crank the (volume) knob?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

As a follow-on to the thread earlier about "how loud will my speakers be?" - I have often wondered - is it safe to turn up the volume knob on your amp past 12 o'clock?

I seem to remember someone telling me that it wasn't but I can't be sure. Is is safe on some amps and not on others or is it a pretty universal rule?

Thought I better ask rather than experiment!!

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Why would you want to do this?

If it sounds too loud its not good for you or your speakers.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
The general rule is to listen for distortion. If the distortion is at it's worst with the bass drum making a "whoomph" sound, the speakers are giving out before the amp.

If however the distortion is on the treble (you know, when the distortion sounds like it's coming from within your ear rather than the speakers), then the chances are that the amp is giving up **Danger point**. When amps go into distortion, they "clip" and the output goes from AC to DC, which will fry your speakers, no matter what wattage they are!

Hope this helps! I don't want to give a 11 o'clock, 12 o'clock, as it depends on how loud the source is i.e.CD may sound louder at 12 o'clock than Vinyl...

Or to put it another way, if you want a v.loud system, buy some PA amps and speakers for those special occasions and keep your hifi for listening!

A

Anonymous

Yes I have some over jealeous friends who have managed to push my JVC past 2 o'clock on my Wharfedale's when I was out and they said to me "man, I can't get it to full volume with no remote" I WAS TRULY LIVID! Didn't do anything though luckily.

A

Anonymous

Why would you want to? 12 o clock is usually maximum volume on an amp.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
I had the classic "never use your own speakers for a party" thing a few years back, melted my Morduant Short`s a treat!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts