SACD superiority?

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
weweweewrwer

Many people claim SACD, or hi-rez files ingeneral, sound better than Red Book CD. on the other hand there are many people claiming the difference lays only in the mastering. see this quote from a recent article at Stereophile: "Turning to "Money" from the hybrid SACD issue of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, John (Atkinson) compared the SACD layer, which preserves the superior original mastering, to the CD layer, which squashes dynamics." I believe such practice is actually not a separated example. I never tried comparing for myself but I believe Red Book standard does not have any reason to sound inferior. This is all in digitalisation theory - Nyquist theorem. But there's a good news on the way. The article tells about a shift from peak normalisation (high loundness) to loudness to peack ratio(LPR) normalisation basis in European broadcast industry. Let's hope recording industry will soon follow. For those who want to read the whole thing here's the link. http://www.stereophile.com/content/winning-loudness-wars (sorry, rich text does not work)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The message is good, but I think I'm more alarmed that a presentation by revered audio professionals aimed at other audio professionals actually had slides explaining what PLR is and why track-by-track peak-normalization isn't usually a good idea. Even I know that, and I'm just a small-fry amateur musician with a little home studio. I expect these fellas to be so good they've forgotten more than I know. Actually maybe that's the problem!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello 6th...I feel I should be able to answer this, but I don't think I understand the question! Red slabs? :?

If you can post-up a picture I'm sure I can help you with this!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts