sacd player

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
hi folks,would appreciate if someone could point me in the direction of a good sacd player,just read an article about Pink Floyd's Wish you were here,remastered in 5.1.....so i want it.

Budget wise,well,sub-£1000 would be a start,also...are universal players as good as stand alone?

Cheers

Graham

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
GSB said:
hi folks,would appreciate if someone could point me in the direction of a good sacd player,just read an article about Pink Floyd's Wish you were here,remastered in 5.1.....so i want it.

Budget wise,well,sub-£1000 would be a start,also...are universal players as good as stand alone?

Cheers

Graham

If you are prepared to spend £1000 I will highly recommend OPPO 95 universal player.

GSB said:

Cheers

Graham

This is a cracker! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-Demo-Arcam-CD37-CD-Player-Colour-Black-Perfect-Condition-/320939714430?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item4ab97f677e

A

Anonymous

I know some models of the PS3 will play SACD. Might be worth a spin if you can.

michael hoy

plastic penguin said:
GSB said:

Cheers

Graham

This is a cracker! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-Demo-Arcam-CD37-CD-Player-Colour-Black-Perfect-Condition-/320939714430?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item4ab97f677e

Good spot PP, I have dealt with these people in the past and they are very helpful.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for taking time out PP,but on reflection it's out of my price range,was hoping there may be a player of that quality for half its origional price,'ya know,an older model or such like.I'm not needing multi-region just good quality.

but much appreciated anyways :cheers:

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
michael hoy said:
If the Oppo 95 is to much look at the Oppo 93.

Ideal-AV is fairly close to you, Allan will demo for you.

I've spoke to ideal about a media server,but for now i'd like to source sacd so don't want to spend a lot,only to replace.

So Rob....i have a ps3 slim....gona give it a whirl,anything i need to adjust in the settings mate?

EDIT:just checked the manual and it says sacd playback not supported.....oh well :doh:

GSB said:
Thanks for taking time out PP,but on reflection it's out of my price range,was hoping there may be a player of that quality for half its origional price,'ya know,an older model or such like.I'm not needing multi-region just good quality.

It comes well within your initial brief. The CD37 normally retails around £1300 mark. A couple of weeks ago I saw one @ £599, but even £799 represents cracking value, and would guess it would out perform the Oppo.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
brendonw said:
Cambridge Audio 651Bd

Plays bd, sacd, DVD-audio

Multi region DVD

£499 at Richer Sounds

Could sell your old bd panny too :)
thanks for the suggestion,doubt my bdp is worth 'owt now,after all it's last years model.... :rofl:

Hmmm...if you had bought a Sony blu ray player instead of Panasonic, you would've got SACD functionality. Even the S390 plays SACDs (all Sony models play, except, I think, S185):

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/blu-ray-disc-player/bdp-s390#/TechnicalSpecs

Even Pioneer players support SACD.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Bigboss i went with the panasonic becouse of the recomendation off of here,and for £170 i have no complaints.

Think i am looking for a dedicated sacd player now,to upgrade the yamaha cd i stupidly got,i should have carried on with recomendations from these forums.

In time i'm going to get a purpose built media center tower type thing....ideal-av local to me build them,so making a bdp redundant anyways.

My thinking is that a stand alone sacd player would be for certain listening,avr streaming for the rest,just a pity the prices don't fall like those of last years tv's.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
GSB said:

It comes well within your initial brief. The CD37 normally retails around £1300 mark. A couple of weeks ago I saw one @ £599, but even £799 represents cracking value, and would guess it would out perform the Oppo.
This is certainly worth considering granted,if i can find a retailer that would take my cdp in with the deal then no problem,it looks excactly what i am looking for,but realistcly i'll have to wait a while,hopefully xmas sales will knock abit off....thanks PP,i have made a note of the model number :cheers:

T

the record spot

If you can find one, pick up a Denon DVD-3930 universal player. £1000 on release in 2007, I picked up mine - a near mint model - from an independent dealer down south for £150. I recall reading that long-time reviewer Jimmy Hughes used one in his own system at home and sound quality is very hard to fault, build quality is excellent - 11kgs.

It also supports HDCD and DVD-A formats too.

cabman

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
A second hand Marantz SA7001 KI is worth looking out for too. Someone might even be about to list one on Ebay, you never know.

I had the Denon mentioned above, fine player.

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
cse said:
Marantz Pearl Lite SACD, about £649, down from £1000. Excellent and I own it.

I was going to say the same. I have one and it's superb.

Also speaking as an electronics technician... this player has one of the best mechanisms and pickups around today. The general build quality is outstanding too.

electro69

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
For Multichannel the universal players are probably the best value.

The NAD T585 available second hand from ebay for £150 or less plays SACD really well in stereo and multichannel, unlike most Universal players it does not downsample to PCM ie. it has true 1 bit DACs.

The Denon Universal plays from the 2900 - (a little bright) onwards, these go from £50 on ebay

All the Sony SACD players are pretty good, the 1200ES a good multichannel machine £250 on ebay

If you are willing to stretch your budget a Sony SCD XA9000ES is the best multichannel player I've heard £1000 on ebay

Linn Unidisk - Not as good as Sony but probably more aound in the UK - under £1000 on ebay

New machines under £1000 very limited for multichannel. The Marantz universal players are cheaper than the Oppo and WhatHifi preferred the 7006.

For stereo new it would be the Marantz KI Pearl Lite at £700

A warning though, once you hear a good multichannel SACD system you wont want to listen to 2 channel again, whether through a top end streamer or not!

I hope you enjoy the Pink Floyd, when I demonstrate WYWH this to friends they are simply amazed one woman said "If I had this system I'd never leave the house!".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts