sacd/cd or go for good quality DAC ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Iam interested in buying a new source. I would like a sacd that also has good redbook playback. Can't make my mind up over valves or solid state. I listen to mainly classical,jazz and acoustic. My system at present is cyrus pre and cyrus mono blocks which give out 150 watts per block and i listen to cds with a cyrus 7d q with psx seperate power unit. My speakers at present are spender s8 but may be upgrading in future but, thats another story. My room is 20 x 12.5. I was thinking of going secondhand as the old musical fidelity tri-vista seems a good buy but iam not sure if the sonic performances have improved that much over the recent years which would make me buy one of the latest sacd/cd players. Any help would be much appreciated. Or would i be better off buying a second hand DAC if so any ideas which would go well with my cyrus cd7 q and present rig.my budget is up to £2000.00 Any suggestions would be much appreciated

A

Anonymous

I suggest a good DAC and using your computer as the source. The sound will beat most disc players of equivalent price. I would forget about SACD because the format is pretty much dead. Soon everything will be high resolution downloads. See hdtracks.com for a ton of great Chesky downloads without DRM.

T

the record spot

Depending on the budget, you can pick up Pioneer's £350 SACD/CD player (name escapes me, but it doesn't roll off the tongue I know that much). For £349 you get Marantz's SA7001, for £599 you get the upgraded KI Signature version of the same player, but Hi Fi Confidential had that for £499 the other week (see online) and it's very well received.

If you want multi-format in one box, Denon's universal DVD-3940 is £900 and does CD, SACD, DVD-A and HDCD and gets a good review from one of the guys at Hi Fi World as being a solid all rounder.

Why forget SACD, this site should be of some use - http://www.sa-cd.net/ - it's got everything on SACD worldwide, plus go to Ebay and you'll land some bargains for the format; Billy Joel's "The Stranger" was mine for £6 a year or so back, Fopp (UK record shop) were doing the Elton John discs for £8 (although price has gone up to around £12 now I think) and so on and so forth.

It's not well supported true, but some of the classical and jazz titles on SACD are superb. If you'd like the format, go for it - there is no reason not to buy it when you can have an excellent player and get the performance too.

A

Anonymous

I would get a Cyrus DAC-X and use your cdp as a transport. The DAC-X has multiple inputs so you can explore using your PC for music, into the DAC-X, should give excellent quality.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="The Computer Audiophile"]I suggest a good DAC and using your computer as the source. The sound will beat most disc players of equivalent price. I would forget about SACD because the format is pretty much dead. Soon everything will be high resolution downloads. See hdtracks.com for a ton of great Chesky downloads without DRM.[/quote]

I really agree with this. Get your hands on a good network music player (transporter) or go with a squeezebox and a good DAC. I have many SACD's and they are great - just dead unfortunately. I have been ripping all my cd's to AIFF files and playing them through a soundbridge M2000 (for now) with the dac in my Bryston Pre-amp. Very happy with the sound. I have also been purchasing high resolution download music files and have been very happy with the sound...

It is the future (in my opinion)

Have fun

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts