Runing home music network without computer using Squeezebox and QNAP

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello

I am new to this forum and home networking.

I have a Iomega home net work drive that runs with a lunix based firmware. Do you think I can install the slimserver on this?

If not should I get a QNAP? How easy is it to set up? Do you have to buy a seperate hard drive for it? Can I use a windows based PC to install the Slimserver onto the QNAP? Do you then store your MP3 on it and can you stream these to the Squeezebox without your PC being on?

What about the Linksys Network Storage Link NSLU2 NAS? I have seen from the links of the logitech website that these are difficult to install the slimserver on and the instructions, quite frankly scare me. http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applications/SlimServer

I would really appreciate some help as I bought the Iomega network drive being assured it would work and I cannot get it to work. Maybe I need to follow this scary instructions in the link above?

Cheers

M

John Duncan

I suspect that you do need to follow the instructions above yes. Some NAS drives already have Squeezeserver built in, which saves you doing it, but anything running linux ought to.

Do you especially need to have no PC on?

A

Anonymous

I have not actually bought the QNAP yet. Which ones have slimserver (squeeze centre 7) already installed on it? Presumably once the slimserver is on it and I have moved all my music to it, I can turn my computer off and it will still stream my music?

I would rather run it without my computer as my home on is noisy and my work laptop is usually at home with me, but there are occasions that it won't be.

A

Anonymous

Maybe you want to check on koolu thinclient, google it. its a green pc fanless design consuming 5 watt operating without external HDD, you can always use 2,5" HDD choose the one with spin off feature. add another external HDD for backup which is more effective safer than RAID. Koolu's spec is beefier than NAS, maybe the latest or a hi end NAS already beat it nowadays. it's around 269 USD 512MB RAM, you can upgrade to 1GB. If you need more horsepower try ASUS eee box, or even better dell studio hybrid starting at 499 USD .
Koolu thin client include flash drive, should you prefer windows there's a HDD bracket+cabling for 2.5" ATA HDD max.capacity detected is 80GB (i guess this means larger capacity still working as a 80GB storage)
with windows hybernation feature you can save more. wake up on lan from hybernation is quite fast for me, maybe slower using koolu. I use AMD sempron 1GB in different room
IMHO that's the best option.

A

Anonymous

But do these have the squeeze center pre-installed? And can I run it wihtout a computer being on? And can I install and set it all up with a windows laptop?

These maybe stupid questions but I am not very technical.

John Duncan

From the way he's tlaking, no, it sounded like he had a certain amount of technical expertise. Take a look at ripcaster who do bundles of QNAP NASes with Squeezecentre preinstalled, various sizes, and some savings on bundles with further Squeezebox clients. Seems good value.

Edit: looks like a useful site anyway - there may be some info there in getting squeezecentre working on your Iomega.........

A

Anonymous

Also, I am not sure I can get the Kooku in the UK. I have just done a quick search.

A

Anonymous

Iomega Home Network Hard Disk Drive 500GB SATA II USB2.0 (Silver). I am very, very happy you are taking such an interest. I called Iomega who informed me it is has a lunix firmware running on it. I would love to be able to put the squeeze centre on it but if I can't I will purchase an alternative. One that is easy-ish to install.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

M

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much. Your help is much appreciated. It maybe that I just have to go down the QNAP route It seems they are pre installed with squeezecenter but not cheap.

All help appreciated.

Cheers

M

A

Anonymous

I am sorry for not being informative enough, the reason I chose koolu is because I can put 80GB 2.5" HDD(laptop Hard drive) to install windows I am not familiar with linux therefore it act as a PC minus fan and low powered like NAS. I found Installing squeezcenter on windows is very easy. The hardest part maybe installing the windows. I guess you should use external cdrom. I live in Indonesia and both asus eee box and dell's studio hybrid is not available, but I think Koolu is accessible around the world by it's online shop (http://shop.koolu.com/) or to be precise goto (http://shop.koolu.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4&zenid=hou5kidpqkpkl4imfj751dviq7)

Good luck melanie
cheers

A

Anonymous

Oops I guess I am not reading your first post carefully melanie. I didn't know if you already have an Iomega. I don't have experience on installing sc on linux but I think it can be done. But you can always run away from linux and buy koolu and ship the iomega to me and will be very glad and pray for your success

John Duncan

gwnzen:I am sorry for not being informative enough, the reason I chose koolu is because I can put 80GB 2.5" HDD(laptop Hard drive) to install windows I am not familiar with linux therefore it act as a PC minus fan and low powered like NAS. I found Installing squeezcenter on windows is very easy. The hardest part maybe installing the windows. I guess you should use external cdrom. I live in Indonesia and both asus eee box and dell's studio hybrid is not available, but I think Koolu is accessible around the world by it's online shop (http://shop.koolu.com/) or to be precise goto (http://shop.koolu.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4&zenid=hou5kidpqkpkl4imfj751dviq7)

Good luck melanie
cheers

Yes gwnzen, I think this would have to be imported direct from Canada as far as I can tell so not ideal. Melanie, am still looking but it seems the defualt position with a NAS running Linux is that it's a bit of a mare (as is everything with Linux, obv). Not giving up yet though.....

A

Anonymous

Yes Importing can be difficult for a repair issue. how about eee box from play.com it's a UK based seller it consume around 21W without external Hard drive
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/653/860/-/6059468/Asus-Eee-Box-EBXB202-WHT-X0056-Intel-Atom-N270-1-6GHz-1GB-160GB-XP-Home-Desktop-PC-White/Product.html?searchtype=genre

or cclonline.com I wish they ship to indonesia
http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=24511&category_id=778&manufacturer_id=18
Melanie Not giving up hope for your Iomega either ..... :)

A

Anonymous

The instructions (provided in a link from Logitech website) look hard. I probablly will be able to do it but will take some learning and more forums no doubt.

If you find anything please let me know. The problem with the iomega is it does not have an operating system or even an opertaing environment only firmware.

Am waiting with baited breathe.

M

John Duncan

Yah, i think you might have to give it up as a bad job. I haven't seen anything that even remotely helps (the Squeezebox Linux site itself needs updating, to use its own words, and doesn't cover version 7). I mean I might give it a go if it was my own NAS and could afford to trash it if I messed up, but can't in all conscience recommend that to someone else.

You could post the specific question in the slimdevices forum and see if someone has actually done it.......

A

Anonymous

well at the moment it is being used as an external hard drive with networking facilities. I bought it specifically for computer-less networking for the squeeze box. So I may as well try and make it work, I don't care if it gets ruined as I will have to replace it with something anyway. (I have plenty of external hard drives)

So, I am not taking your recomendation, but am willing to take the risk myself (therefore no blames anywhere else other than at my feet).

If you have got any suggestions or instructions, I will defo give them a try.

It looks like an additional purchase will be required anyway. So fire away.

I have just signed up to slimdevices forum. I will do that now.

Ta very much.

M

John Duncan

Right, having done some more investigation the the thing that I would do is to try to install a supported version of Linux on the Iomega box (ie one for which SqueezeCenter has a dedicated download - Ubuntu for example) - either directly or using a "Live USB" key where the OS is stored on a USB key and the device boots up from it (I think I saw that the Iomega has a USB slot, but whether tit will boot from it is anybody's guess).

Whether this will actually work will almost certainly be dependent on how the box/firmware works, and I can't predict that. This saga has made me seriously consider whether I should get a NAS running Windows Home Server - Linux does not appear to be for the faint hearted...........

A

Anonymous

Can't help with the Iomega but I can say that Slimserver runs fine on QNAP. I have a QNAP 209-Pro and followed the instructions provided on the QNAP website to install Slimserver. I suppose some Linux experience helps, but I don't think it would be that tricky even if you don't know anything about it. I believe the latest QNAP firmware has SqueezeCenter included, making it even easier.

A

Anonymous

I will try this at the weekend. I wil let you know how it goes. If it does not go, I shall be investing in a QNAP as this seems to be the easiest alternative.

Thanks for all your help.

M

A

Anonymous

Hi CA blues. Just one quick question with your QNAP. Do you store all your MP3 etc.. on it and can you stream those without your computer on?

Thanks and have a great w/e.

M

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi - I'm currently running a QNAP TS-209 NAS, comes pre-installed with Slimserver and Twonkymedia streaming to my Denon AVR 3808, no computer required (except to transfer files to the NAS). The NAS can also act as an iTunes server, so can stream to any PC/laptop in the house running iTunes (Denon cannot play DRM infested files though)Works like a charm! Might be worth investigating whether Twonky can be installed on your exising NAS, otherwise I can heartily recmmend a suitable QNAP box.ÿGood luck!ÿ

A

Anonymous

melaniehill1974:
Hi CA blues. Just one quick question with your QNAP. Do you store all your MP3 etc.. on it and can you stream those without your computer on?

Thanks and have a great w/e.

M

Hi. Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I actually store both FLAC and MP3 on the QNAP box. I stream FLAC to my Squeezeboxes without any computers on. I use the parallel MP3 collection for syncing to iPod.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts