Rubbish blu ray discs

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
what with the recent top 50 in the ultimate guide, i thought it might be a good idea to have a thread on here where people could warn against the rubbish ones?? Maybe make it a sticky topic or have a different section for blu ray discs, good or bad. I would hat eto pay out 15 quid + and find out its a rubbish blu ray.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't go so far as to say "rubbish". But I recently rented out 'Rambo' and neither the sound or vision was up to what I'd class as 'above par' (for a Blu-Ray that is). I'm no expert, but in the short time I've had my player, I've watched about 10/12 films and this was the worst of the lot. I don't know what their excuse is. I'm about half-way through 'Band of Brothers' on Blu-Ray and the picture and sound are much better in all areas, and this is 7 years old.

Explosions were subdued, surround effect was weak, picture was grainy, which I could live with, but it wasn't even particulalry sharp.

Only thing that did impress was Matthew Marsden's sniper rifle. That sounded great, but that's about it.

A

Anonymous

Excellent idea for a thread, I'm considering going Bluray soon but from what I've heard not all transitions are kind. I'd hate to fall in the trap of getting a film expecting to be blown away only to be disappointed.

A

Anonymous

Big Chris:I wouldn't go so far as to say "rubbish". But I recently rented out 'Rambo' and neither the sound or vision was up to what I'd class as 'above par' (for a Blu-Ray that is). I'm no expert, but in the short time I've had my player, I've watched about 10/12 films and this was the worst of the lot. I don't know what their excuse is. I'm about half-way through 'Band of Brothers' on Blu-Ray and the picture and sound are much better in all areas, and this is 7 years old.

Explosions were subdued, surround effect was weak, picture was grainy, which I could live with, but it wasn't even particulalry sharp.

Only thing that did impress was Matthew Marsden's sniper rifle. That sounded great, but that's about it.

It cant be that bad when it has been reviewed as demo worthy material..The dvd looks terrible on a Bluray player but looked fine on my hddvd player, dunno why that is tho. But back to the bluray version of Rambo, it has been highly rated for picture quality.By the way Cloverfield looks amazing, and it only cost 10 quid WOOOHOOO!

nws56

Oct 4, 2008
Visit site
1. Doomsday

It's not that this film looks or sounds bad , but that it suffers from a lousy script and appalling acting. Enough to make you wriggle in your armchair with embarassment .

2. The assassination of ..by the etc. etc.

There had been comments of Ansel Adams style pictorial splendour about this film , but I was cruelly deceived . There was precious little of beauty in the landscape and certainly none in the 'characters' . Disappointing , dreary , and dull .

3. No country for Old Men

Don't go looking for the ending of this story on disc 2 .....because there isn't one .Does it matter that the film presents an unfinished tale ? Up to you , but I think that the previous Fargo had already said all there is to say about the triumph of evil.

4. There will be blood.

I put it to you , gentle reader , that the spectacle of horrible people doing horrible things does nothing to uplift the human spirit .So the tale of greed and religous hypocrisy told here only depresses , I didn't even learn much about drilling for oil . Pretty to look at ? Suffer an hour of this and you won't even care .

A

Anonymous

Apart from Doomsday all the other three films you mentioned are great.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
nws56:
1. Doomsday

It's not that this film looks or sounds bad , but that it suffers from a lousy script and appalling acting. Enough to make you wriggle in your armchair with embarassment .

2. The assassination of ..by the etc. etc.

There had been comments of Ansel Adams style pictorial splendour about this film , but I was cruelly deceived . There was precious little of beauty in the landscape and certainly none in the 'characters' . Disappointing , dreary , and dull .

3. No country for Old Men

Don't go looking for the ending of this story on disc 2 .....because there isn't one .Does it matter that the film presents an unfinished tale ? Up to you , but I think that the previous Fargo had already said all there is to say about the triumph of evil.

4. There will be blood.

I put it to you , gentle reader , that the spectacle of horrible people doing horrible things does nothing to uplift the human spirit .So the tale of greed and religous hypocrisy told here only depresses , I didn't even learn much about drilling for oil . Pretty to look at ? Suffer an hour of this and you won't even care .

Ithink for this thread to work, we need to distinguish between narrative and/or technical excellence - people can always be subjective about whether they did or didn't like a film, but the technical quality of a film (sound and vision wise) can be described more objectively, I hope!

That's why, for example, we've been testing with The Love Guru recently - abysmal film, but exceptionally colourful, which is a great colour workout for TVs, disc players etc....

A

Anonymous

The Prestige on blu ray is a fantatstic transfer. The dark lighting really gives your screen a stern test of black crushing and black levels. There's a sequence at the start where the dark visuals suddenly erupt into screen-filling ice-blue lightning which is excellent for showing why plasmas have the upper hand over LCDs where HD content is concerned.

Great film too, but that's just my opinion!
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

The intention of this thread was purely to ask about the blu ray quality rather than the film itself. Put simply, rubbish blu ray = may as well buy on dvd!!

So it would be good to know what not to go near as far as spending extra cash for blu ray.

Let the slating begin!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Ginder:Big Chris:I wouldn't go so far as to say "rubbish". But I recently rented out 'Rambo' and neither the sound or vision was up to what I'd class as 'above par' (for a Blu-Ray that is). I'm no expert, but in the short time I've had my player, I've watched about 10/12 films and this was the worst of the lot. I don't know what their excuse is. I'm about half-way through 'Band of Brothers' on Blu-Ray and the picture and sound are much better in all areas, and this is 7 years old.

It cant be that bad when it has been reviewed as demo worthy material..The dvd looks terrible on a Bluray player but looked fine on my hddvd player, dunno why that is tho. But back to the bluray version of Rambo, it has been highly rated for picture quality, check out this review:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1372/rambo.html

By the way Cloverfield looks amazing, and it only cost 10 quid WOOOHOOO!

Perhaps It's highlighting the deficiencies of my TV with no 1080P or 24fps, but other films have looked really good.

I just call it as I see it.

A

Anonymous

By far the worst quality disc of a recent title I have is THE FOUNTAIN. Interesting (if flawed) movie, in many ways, but the encode is abysmal. Blacks are grainy, grainy, grainy and lack all detail. Shame for a movie that's all about the light and the dark....
The worst catalogue title is RIO BRAVO, which is a shame, given that other titles from this period are excellent. It's full of grain and lacks detail across the board.

Highway

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
I know this is slightly off topic (see Clare's comment below), ironically I have recently watched the first three of these films back to back. Not seen There Will Be Blood as yet, but that will happen.

I have to agree with Doomsday comments, terrible film. I hate those post disaster, humans goneÿferal, dressing in Mad Max outfits type films. What makes it worse is in the extras there is no disguising all of the "influences" used in making the film. Complete waste of time and money in my opinion.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed The Assassination........ It was a much better film than I was expecting, but long.

No Country for Old Men really took me by surprise. Enjoyed this film a lot and the ending really does not bother me. Do we have to have all the ends tied up for us? I will be buying this on Blu-ray (when I get my player and TV).

ÿ

Love the idea of a technical Blu-ray discussion thread. Currently I use a couple of other Blu-ray websites who technically review the discs, but these are American, so an UK based reviews page would be welcome.

One Blu-ray I would recommend is the DocumentaryÿHelveticaÿ. It's very good if you enjoy a good documentary.

Davro83

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
I recently purchased RAMBO in a 2 for £20 deal and have to say i think the image is excellent. I own 9 bluerays now and would say its in the top 3 for quality. I found the 1st half of the film so clean and sharp and no grain what so ever.

With regards to someones comment of no country for old men, you must be mad. I think its an amazing film. One of my favourites of all time and although i would like the film to carry on a bit more, the ending worked really well i thought. The film was just about a criminal trying to track and kill a thief who stole his money. Well the thief died. What more do we need to know. lol

A

Anonymous

I also found Rambo to be one of the best Blu Ray films I have watched to date. Great picture.

I was very underwhelmed by Gone in 60 Seconds. Looked ok but I was expecting more, especially since it was one of the first and therefore most expensive blu ray films I have bought!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Gangs of New York is not worth the upgrade over DVD, it's still better but not by a lot - dreadful pictures in some scenes compared to good transfers. Wait for the special edition!

(P.S. - There Will Be Blood is one of the best films of the year!)

A

Anonymous

Everyone goes on about the 5 disc Planet Earth box set being a 'must own',

although it probably is, it did strike me that the image quality was nothing like as jaw dropping as i found on Baraka, which kind of take the shine off it a little bit.

A

Anonymous

Would have to agree Chris with a previous entry Rambo is easily a top 10 film for picture and the sound is pretty good too. I had your model TV up until 6 months ago when I upgraded to a Sony 40" V4000 (still got the previous Sony in the back room). Putting Rambo on the older Sony it does look grainy but clear as a bell on my new one.

Poor discs I believe for picture are Close Encounters and too an extent Halloween.

A

Anonymous

I also found Rambo to be of decent sound and picture quality. Prince Caspian (disney) was brilliant for picture and sound. Have yet to watch close encounters but will get round to it soon, watching both Alien V Predator movies tomorrow, never saw the 2nd one on dvd so looking forward to blu-ray version.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:I wouldn't go so far as to say "rubbish". But I recently rented out 'Rambo' and neither the sound or vision was up to what I'd class as 'above par' (for a Blu-Ray that is). I'm no expert, but in the short time I've had my player, I've watched about 10/12 films and this was the worst of the lot. I don't know what their excuse is. I'm about half-way through 'Band of Brothers' on Blu-Ray and the picture and sound are much better in all areas, and this is 7 years old.

Only thing that did impress was Matthew Marsden's sniper rifle. That sounded great, but that's about it.I thought this was a very good transfer, mind you i have the american version thats in DTS master audio & the sound & pic quality are 1st rate !

A

Anonymous

I am new to Blu ray but I recomend I am Legend and Iron Man watched then tonight

A

Anonymous

The Condemned: Audio is not a 7.1 dts-hd as stated. Only 5.1.

A

Anonymous

Worst Blu ray in my collection is Stargate. Like the film but PQ isn't great IMO.

A

Anonymous

I must have 40 or so Blu rays now and I have to say that I would find it hard to find one that was very poor. Damages has slight lip sync problems.

Lots of them have variable PQ - some scenes are poor compared with others - but nothing really bad.

I am very susceptible to phosphour trails so each Blu ray film that I watch exhibits this to some degree (not the fault of the disc).

Of the films mentioned so far, I have to say that Rambo, There will be blood et al, are very good quality (nothing is perfect). Yes, we will all have opinions on the actual content.

I think that this is a great thread because Blu rays are expensive and it will help us all avoid paying out for unnecessarily if the DVD would do.

By the way Cool Hand Luke, Bonnie and Clyde etc., although not demonstration quality, show that very old films can look great.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts