RP3 problems - FALSE ALARM! (Actually USER problems!)

matthewpiano

My RP3 has been on the sidelines for a few weeks because I've been using my PL12D instead. This afternoon I fancied giving the Rega another go so I connected it all up with the TT PSU and switched it on. Nothing. The TT PSU is powering up fine and I triple checked the connection between the TT PSU and the RP3. Still nothing. I tried the power direct into the RP3, bypassing the TT PSU just in case it was a power output problem from there, but still NOTHING. The blooming thing isn't working. When it switch it on it makes a tiny, barely perceptible movement but the platter doesn't spin. Taking the platter off and trying again reveals that the motor spindle isn't spinning at all.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
My RP3 has been on the sidelines for a few weeks because I've been using my PL12D instead. This afternoon I fancied giving the Rega another go so I connected it all up with the TT PSU and switched it on. Nothing. The TT PSU is powering up fine and I triple checked the connection between the TT PSU and the RP3. Still nothing. I tried the power direct into the RP3, bypassing the TT PSU just in case it was a power output problem from there, but still NOTHING. The blooming thing isn't working. When it switch it on it makes a tiny, barely perceptible movement but the platter doesn't spin. Taking the platter off and trying again reveals that the motor spindle isn't spinning at all.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

Spin the motor by hand and then try it. The motor may have just got stuck in one place if it's not been used in a while.

matthewpiano

Thanks Lost Angeles. Tried that a few times, and still doesn't work. If I spin the platter it spins freely and only slows down gradually as it should, but there is just no input coming from the motor at all. Think the motor unit must have failed. What a disgrace!

matthewpiano

UPDATE:

Some weeks ago when I first put the RP3 and TT PSU to one side, I noticed that the top half of the power adaptor had split from the bottom half and I put the adaptor away safely to avoid future accidents. When I tried to reinstate the RP3/TT PSU and ran into the problems described in this thread, I forgot about this and used a power adaptor I found which I thought was the right one. It was a 24v adaptor, and it powered up the TT PSU but there must have been something wrong with the way in which it delivered the power. I have since found the splitting adaptor and tried it briefly (and carefully), and with this the TT PSU and RP3 work exactly as they should. I've ordered a new adaptor and I'm looking forward to using my kit again. I wanted to update this thread so that anybody searching for info on the RP3 and/or TT PSU wasn't put off having one because of my error.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts