router in reverse

jokerpaulonline

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
I dont know if there is anything out there, but what I am after is a router that works in reverse.

something that could pick up your wifi signal, put it into the router then have ethernet cables coming out of it so you can connect to av, tv, blue-ray player etc...

has anyone seen, heard or got anything like this?

I did ask my broadband provider (virgin) if they could supply me another broadband box, I told them that I did not mind paying for it, but they just kept saying NO.

My problem is that my broadband and wireless router is upstairs and I do use the ethernet cable out of it upstairs as well, but now I want to be able to connect to the av and blueray player downstairs as well now

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Yes you can get such a thing. I think they are called Wireless Bridges or Wireless Access Points. My Squeezebox has a wireless bridge function, so it connects to my router wirelessley, and then allows me to use the ethernet port on the back to connect to my Freesat box

A

Anonymous

What you need is a pair of these: http://www.netgear.com/Products/APsWirelessControllers/AccessPoints/WNHDE111.aspx.

Or something similar.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
jokerpaulonline:
My problem is that my broadband and wireless router is upstairs and I do use the ethernet cable out of it upstairs as well, but now I want to be able to connect to the av and blueray player downstairs as well now

Sounds to me like your best option is to route a cable and buy an ethernet switch.

A

Anonymous

>now I want to be able to connect to the av and blueray player downstairs as well now<

A set of HomePlugs and a basic 4-port switch would be better than wi-fi.

jokerpaulonline

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
ColinSoames:

>now I want to be able to connect to the av and blueray player downstairs as well now<

A set of HomePlugs and a basic 4-port switch would be better than wi-fi.

what are home plugs? have you got a link to them?

A

Anonymous

They are more expensive than wireless but give you an ethernet (wired) network over your electricity cabling.

Personally, I would stick with Wireless N (particularly as there are no cables required and the inherent flexibility).

If you bought of these: http://www.netgear.co.uk/wnhdeb111.php you'd have a Wireless Access Point as well as being able to connect wired devices to it (think like converting your rear speakers to wireless with two adapters).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts