Rothwell Attenuators

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I'm considering using some Rothwells. Can anyone advise me of the pros and cons of this ?

And I presume I'd need 4, as I bi-amp......

Thanks Richard.......

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
For low level listening a God send, whatever the purists say. Gives far more travel on your pot (you can turn it up more to get more out of the amp) and works a total treat with my amp. If you're able to listen at "normal" volumes then I wouldn't bother.

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi Sizzers, thanks for the reply.

My problem is that I now live in a semi and my speakers are very efficient, plus I bi-amp, so the system never stretches its' legs anymore.

I just wondered if this would let my amp work a bit better............

Does the use of the Rothwells adversely affect the sound much?

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
It does not degrade the audio quality as mentioned by the maker.

And you can specify the degress of attenuation (mine is a -20dB version).

And allow you to turn the volume control to a higher level than usual after you order online or from your dealer.

How do you biamp? Your pre-amp has two set of pre out?

If yes, you will need 2 pairs of the attenuator.

If you daisy chain the 1st power amp to the 2nd power amp, you only need 1 pair.

Connect to the input of your 1st power amp.

I found the audio sounds a bit "fuller" with it connected to the input of my Audiolab 8200A (working as pre-power av mode).

YMMV.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hey Zigg,

I bought the Rothwells, last year and started a thread on what I thought of them. It should tell you everything you want to know. Apart from the bi-amp bit, but I think you've already got an answer for that already from another forumster.

HERE'S THE THREAD

A

Anonymous

If you're only using them with one source like your CD player, you can just buy one set and put them on your CD->Pre-Amplifier interconnect.

My dad uses them (you need them with big Class A amps in a small house), we both like the benefits they bring.

A

Anonymous

Grottyash:The benefits being increased energy bills??

Better control over your volume really. Especially good if you havea stepped volume control or a digital one.

The energy thing is quite a problem in my house, as me and my dad both use our A370's at the same time, and even when they're plugged in, turned on but recieving no signal, they use about 450W!

A

Anonymous

I'm a bit lost. Don't attenuators decrease output just like turning down the volume? My Naim has a passive preamp and that's meant to be one of the best types there is - why would I need an attenuator when I can just reduce the volume?

A

Anonymous

Grottyash:I'm a bit lost. Don't attenuators decrease output just like turning down the volume? My Naim has a passive preamp and that's meant to be one of the best types there is - why would I need an attenuator when I can just reduce the volume?

Think of it like a car steering wheel that travels twice as far, but turns the wheels just the same amount. It's just greater control.

I did notice a slightly more brittle top end to the setup I used with the attenuators, though whether that was down to them or the preamp/power amp being at a different volume, I cannot say. Sonically I have not given them much attention, I will test them properly at some point though.

It's also good for digital volume controls, as each step makes less of a difference, again, greater control. Sometimes you get that bit just between perfect and too loud etc...

nij_1

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
I bought these attenuators a while back and now they just sit in their box gathering dust! The claim is that they allow you to increase the volume control of your amplifier and therefore lower the noise floor (which they do), however they also alter the sound.

In my case, the music was not as detailed as it was without them and the sound seemed somewhat 'compressed'. I personally think they alter the sound of my interconnects and defeat the point of acquiring good quality ones.

The results may be dependant on your system but, i'm afraid, they're not for me!

A

Anonymous

nij_1:I bought these attenuators a while back and now they just sit in their box gathering dust! The claim is that they allow you to increase the volume control of your amplifier and therefore lower the noise floor (which they do), however they also alter the sound.

In my case, the music was not as detailed as it was without them and the sound seemed somewhat 'compressed'. I personally think they alter the sound of my interconnects and defeat the point of acquiring good quality ones.

The results may be dependant on your system but, i'm afraid, they're not for me!

They definetly decrease any effect that Eichmann Bullet Plugs have, or the other ones which are similar in design.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Monstrous:
It's also good for digital volume controls, as each step makes less of a difference, again, greater control. Sometimes you get that bit just between perfect and too loud etc...

This interests me as i'm have some kind of upset of mind trying to get DAC with didital pre amp in to the system.

If the digital volume pot is incremented then it's incremented; ah yea okay it's just come to me but what happens if the attenuation is the same as the incremented digital pot?

Surely it wont work in that case?

emotion-8.gif

nij_1

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:Monstrous:

This interests me as i'm have some kind of upset of mind trying to get DAC with didital pre amp in to the system.

If the digital volume pot is incremented then it's incremented; ah yea okay it's just come to me but what happens if the attenuation is the same as the incremented digital pot?

emotion-8.gif

All the attenuator does is decrease the output level of the supply. It doesn't increase the 'sweep' of the volume control but means you have to turn it up further to get the same volume output as without it.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
nij_1:shooter69:Monstrous:

emotion-8.gif

All the attenuator does is decrease the output level of the supply. It doesn't increase the 'sweep' of the volume control but means you have to turn it up further to get the same volume output as without it.

Ah right, cool
emotion-21.gif

If then i had then an amp that worked and sounded poor at low volumes would fitting the attenuators give me the control of higher volume but without the volume when turned up?

nij_1

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, that's the idea!
I used to have a marantz amp that sounded rubbish at low volume settings and these things would have been perfect for night listening (neighbours). It's just that the amp I have now has plenty of dynamics at low volume settings and sounds better without them.

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
bretty:

Hey Zigg,

I bought the Rothwells, last year and started a thread on what I thought of them. It should tell you everything you want to know. Apart from the bi-amp bit, but I think you've already got an answer for that already from another forumster.

HERE'S THE THREAD

Thanks Bretty for the balanced reply...lol...still not sure though, especially as it's going to cost me £80 to find out, cheers The Ziggster.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts