rotelpreamp +arcam combo-can you help?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a superb rotel preamp RC 1070 (3 years old) which then rated 5 stars. But my power amp, though of the same brand, alas....dates from 1990 (Rb870bx, still, the sound is superb). I am nevertheless very tempted to replace the whole thin with the arcam 32, because i am keen on its 'neutrality'; but this is very difficult to get hold of. But i also see many sales on arcam shps, where i could buy an arcam power amp for about £600. I am particularly keen of Arcam for the reason it constitutes, for many, 'lack of character'-which for others stands for a reproduction of music as 'it really is'. Having geard one, i am for the latter view. Now, if i combine the rotel preamp with the arcam power am, which will 'override' the other? Will i be able to enjoy that arcam 'feel' or will the power amp simply reproduce the rotel signal? Alternatively, should i go for the R Kandy (new integrated £750 model?) Your answer will be ppreciated.

Nuno

The three makes you mention are all very good - understand that they have different sonic character. It depends on how you like your music?

When it comes to connecting a power amp, it's best to use same brand as pre-amp. The best advice I can give is go & listen to these makes and decide what sound does it for you.

What sounds good to me may be rubbish to you or others.

A

Anonymous

Thanks! i agree.

incidentally, i took a look at your profile, and what a coincidence that our academic interests overlap. I am doing a PHD on AJP TAylor. And have published something on his thesis - http://www.sussex.ac.uk/ir/profile147190.html

by all means come down to my place in brighton where you can listen to my present system (wonder why i want o upgrade the power amp, it still sounds superb) and put up with my defence of ajp taylor!

Best

Nuno

With a name like Bismarckian I should of known
emotion-1.gif

As regards your hi-fi question I think it's best to persue your original instinct.

Further to the WWII question, I'm not qualified, just an anorak
emotion-5.gif
. I would like to help with your studies, but meeting up is tricky as I work full-time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts