Rotel suggestions

yazooed

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi. I'm a Hi-Fi noob so I thought I would come here to get advice from the best.

Years ago I had the most perfect hi-fi system. It was a Rotel RA 970 BX amplifier and a Rotel RCD 950 CD player with 2 NHT SuperOne speakers. Later, I purchased a Rotel pre-amp for a Rega turntable I was given. It was the the perfect sound for me and I have never heard anything that has come close to it for my taste. Unfortunately, I lost it in a break-up about 10 years ago and have missed it dearly. It's taken a while but I am currently working on replacing it.

It has taken me about a year, but I finally managed to get a pair of good condition secondhand original NHT SuperOne speakers and now I would like to purchase the replacement Rotel componants. I was looking at the most recent Rotel amplifiers and CD players and am a bit confused and wondered if anyone had suggestions about what would be similar/comparable items in todays market. The only requirement - apart from not being too expensive - is that they have to be black.

I don't mind buying second hand Rotel. Do you think I should just keep my eye out for the same amp and CD player that I had and purchase as they become available on the market or get the modern equivalent? What are the modern equivalents?

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

yazooed

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi rainsoothe - thanks for the reply.

Budget is $600 for the CD player and up to $800 for the integrated Amp (Australian Dollars).

Music style is probably general pop/80s, 90s.

Room size is a living room about 5 m x 4m.

Listening levels - do you mean volume? Then just average levels. I'll listen to it loud with headphones on if required!

Thanks!

yazooed

May 31, 2015
Visit site
I have been researching online the Rotel RA 11 amp and Rotel RCD 11 CD player if that makes any difference.

Something i forgot to post is that someone gave me a NAD C515BEE CD player and a NAD C316BEE amp and while they look really nice they don't sound good with the NHT SuperOne speakers. I don't like the sound. It doesn't sound basey enough. I know the speakers can do it but the NAD equiptment doesn't seem to be able to power them properly.

rainsoothe

Hm... Nad are known to give good bass, so make sure the speakers are working fine. Or maybe the nads are in poor condition. Those are really decent entry level components, but if you don't like them, you don't - the CDP might be a keeper though.

For a new CDP you should look at Cambridge Audio Azur C651 - and maybe Marantz CD6004 (it's more relaxed, but has a nice liquidy sound). For amp, try to find a second hand Rotel RA1062 (some see it as Rotel's best midrange amp ever, and it's not that old - alternatively, look for RA1520, which is it's successor, and the model right before the RA12) or, for basy-er sound, second hand Arcam A19 - but this might be overlywarm if your speakers are already warm. Nad C356BEE might also be worth a try (or the cheaper C326BEE), both having more power then the C316, and Nad are known for bassy sound. Mind you, though, that the NADs don't have a phono stage for a turntable, whih you would have to acquire separately.

If your speakers are warm, then CA Azur C651 cdp + Rotel RA1062 might make a great partnership.

I'd be inclined to beleive what you are actually hearing is good, tight bass from the nad setup. Rather than overblown .

maybe try moving the speakers a little towards the rear wall, this may give you a bit more boom from your boxes.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
If you can get a Rotel ra-1520 for a good price it's worth checking out.

Its a well built good looking amp - in isolation it sounds very good. It does require a fair few heat cycles to sound at its best but it does improve with time which I found to my surprise.

Its bass is solidly deep with a very clean top end - great edges on instruments.

Only the midrange lacked the timber and ambience (upper and lower frequencies) of my current amp. Which held back vocals. And at volume struggled to control the bass drivers in my set.

My speakers have a 200watt@6ohms handling and require a bit more than the 60watts of this amp to 'sing'

But paired with a less demanding speaker this amp will deliver.

Sold it to my nephew who is very impressed with it - I was too hearing it in his set-up.

Should have sold it for more.

Tomaschr

May 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi

Im thinking about selling my Rotel RA-970BX. So if you or annyone you know are interested you can contact me at Tomas.christoffersen@gmail.com

I also have a Rotel RCD930AX CD player and Rotel RT-935AX AM/FM Stereo Tuner.

Tomaschr said:
Hi

Im thinking about selling my Rotel RA-970BX. So if you or annyone you know are interested you can contact me at Tomas.christoffersen@gmail.com

I also have a Rotel RCD930AX CD player and Rotel RT-935AX AM/FM Stereo Tuner.

Tomas.

You cannot sell things on this forum, unfortunately.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts