Rotel RCD 06 Replacement

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

After the recent slandering of the Rotel RCD 06 CD Player, I have decided to dump it on ebay and buy a superior alternative. The only problem is I am unsure on which model to go for. The rest of my setup consists of a Rotel RA 06 Amp with RB 06 Power Amp and KEF iQ5's.

I'm looking at spending £500-600 on a new player, so any recommendations would be nice. I mostly listen to TripHop, Electronica, bit of classical and jazz from time to time as well.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

this is what can make me occasionally really dislike hi fi magazines and forums. People changing products because SOMEONE ELSE tells them its not a good product any more. Its called upgrade- i-tis and it can be a serious waste of money. If the cd player sounds great to you, and the rcd06 was a belter only a couple of years ago and is still good, then why upgrade it? iy ou really have to do it then you could do worse than an arcam cd73t

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I agree with Frziel - I think you've jumped the gun way too much!

If you were thinking of replacing your CD player you should have auditioned some against your Rotel before you decided to replace. Just because other people dont like it doesnt mean its naff! Music is down to personal choice and your hearing is going to be completely different to everyone elses

Again, agreeing with Fraziel i'd go for an Arcam CD73, Alpha 9 CD Player or an Arcam CD92 (the latter 2 do appear on Ebay but not that often). Another good alternative could be the Arcam Alpha 8SE CD player, cracking player and you can get them for less than £200 meaning you'd save also to possible upgrade elsewhere etc...

If you're looking at a new CD player, what about a Rega (the Rega Planet pops up on Ebay every so often and thats a cracking CD player)or the new Apollo/Saturn (i think thats the new one).

Other alternatives could be the Roksan LIII CD Player, Cyrus 6CD Player.

Let us know what route you go down.

A

Anonymous

I agree with what you are both saying,at the time of buying the rotel gear (just CD and Amp no Power Amp) the rotel CD player sounded spot on. But now I have a little more power from the power amp and my speaker have been run in nicely I feel the CD player is the only weakness. Plus the money has been saved for this purpose, so why not.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Well if i were you i'd wait till after Christmas when the sales are on and go get some auditioning done at your local decent Hi-Fi retailer.

Like selling your CD player, i wouldnt advise just buying one because its had a good write up. You need to listen to it to make sure it plays the music you like the way you like!

A

Anonymous

I also agree that if you like it keep it. It sounds like you fancy a change anyway.

I would audition the Rega Apollo, Roksan Kandy III & Cyrus 6 on your kit (the later is upgradeable too, but I'm not sure whether this is a great idea based on what I hear about the _relatively_ short life of CD transports). I have the Rotel RA-03 and Kandy CDP, both of which go together beautifully.

Depending on what it is about the overall sound you want to change, you could possibly consider upgrading interconnects and/or speaker wire and/or mains leads. There is scope for this to clean up the sound and would be a useful upgrade for future kit too. What do you have in terms of cables now?

A

Anonymous

I have QED Silver Spiral Interconnects from both the CD Player and linking the Amp to Power Amp. Spk cables are QED Anniversary Bi Wired. Tacima Mains conditioner.

I do like the sound but I know that it can be substantially improved with a superior player. It just annoys me that my amps/speakers are capable of handling the detail a new player could exploit, and I'm not bothered about spending a bit to acomplish this.

The CD players had two years of solid use, and i'm sure I can sell it for a reasonable amount. Never been two fond of cyrus stuff but will test out roksan, rega and possibly the exposure 2010s.

A

Anonymous

i mis read your post and thought it was an ra05 you had.Sorry.the arcam cd73 would be good but i think your system could handle something even better.Shame arcam no longer do the cd82 as it was a belter.What about roksan or cyrus? Not a huge fan of cyrus myself as they sound a bit thin and dry compared to arcam.The kandy is good but not as detailed as cyrus or arcam. Your choice of exposure ot rega could be the way to go.

A

Anonymous

Fraziel, although I agree about the cyrus, their recent CD players (CD6s) have aparently improved and are not so thin (tho I would have to listen to believe this). Also just been reading about the, soon to be released, CD6se. So may wait a bit to see how it compares to the Rega.

Regarding the arcam stuff, I agree it is good kit but is a little on the warm side for my music taste, im looking for out right analytical dynamics that differentiates from my current rotel player which remains edgy and painful after prolonged listening

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
My girlfriends parents have got the Cyrus 8v2 and 8 CD player mateched with B&W CM7 speakers. This system sounds fantastic and the CD player to me, givs clear well controlled bass, concise and well-levelled midrange and taught and crisp treble.

We also auditioned the CD6 with the 6v2 amp and this also sounded fantastic. I think the Cyrus amps and CD players have come along way lately, that much that i may consider upgrading to Cyrus Pre, Power (possible integrated and power) along with the new B&W 684's.

A

Anonymous

How do you think a modern cyrus CD Player kit will work with my Rotel KEF setup. Or would cyrus stuff be a bit of an overkill?

A

Anonymous

If you like the Rotel sound, have a look for a 2nd hand Rotel RCD-1070. IMO, better then the Rega Planet, Arcam CD-73 and 82.

I auditioned against these and a couple of other players and it blew the competition away.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts