Rotel RC 1070 help!

A

Anonymous

Personally I would go down the power amp route and hang on to the pre. You get greater flexibility and an upgrade path for the future. In theory, pre/power set ups sound better due to the PSU isolation, etc, and you should get a cleaner sound.

If you compared the pre in the Arcam with the Rotel I suspect the Arcam would win, in particular because it has a digital volume control as opposed to a variable pot. I think the Rotel is a good piece of kit.

A good power amp to look at, ex-demo, new or used, would be the Quad 909. Gorgeous midrange and a lot of detail for the money. You can hide it away and leave the pre showing for control purposes. Maybe in future you could add a valve pre or the Quad 99 pre.

Sorry if I'm clouding the issue here...

A

Anonymous

Thanks. How about just get the arcam 38 power amp? can get it for £650

A

Anonymous

That's certainly an option I would pursue because you can upgrade the pre in future if you so desire. The 38 power is probably very good although I haven't heard it. I should add, I'm in pre/power thinking mode these days!

Just to make matters even more confusing, you could buy the A32 integrated at a sell-off price and then add a power later if you want more bang. Then you could biamp or pre/power.

Now I really am just clouding the issue. For me:

1) Pre/power has more scope for higher performance and could be done now with the addition of a power to the pre.

2) Integrated is tidier, will be an upgrade for you and would still let you pre/power later if you decide.

Right, I'll shut up now...

Bismarckian:

I own a Rotel preamp rc 1070 (4-5 years old?). How good is this amp? Would i be better off upgrading my power amp instead of replacing the whole thing with an Arcam A32? (to be used with proac speakers)

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/rotel/preamplifiers/rc-1070/PRD_125734_1591crx.aspx

I have an overwhelming feeling of deja vu
emotion-5.gif
. Like iggle said and as I mentioned the other night go with your original instinct. As mentioned, the power amp route will give you a very good sound, in addition to flexibility.

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:Huh? Didn't you buy the A32?

gave a deposit...very confused indeed!

A

Anonymous

A32 - superb amp, good looking and has upgrade potential. Job done. I labor things sometimes.

A

Anonymous

ok then i must redirect my deposit towards the arcam power amp 38. the problem is that the bloke at seven oaks told me i was better off with the arcam 32 as opposed to rotel + arcam power amp- so confusing to hear such anatagonistic accounts!!!

TRENDING THREADS