Rotel RA-1570 integrated or Rotel Pre and Power amp?

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I checked the Rotel 15 series last Saturday, the RA-1570 integrated amp and RB-1552 mk2 power amp with the RC-1570 preamp. I came away pretty impressed with both sets and almost bought them. Problem was I couldn't decide. They both sounded good and look really amazing in person. Very attractive Hi-Fi for the living room. I also like the added features they have like a built in DAC with PC USB, 2 coaxial and 2 optical inputs on back. The front has an ipod USB and Bluetooth dongle. Not to metion they both come with a phono input.

The question is what would be the beter choice? The integrated or the pre and power amp? Both have the same features and power ratings. The integrated is $1600 here and the pre and power amp are $2000. So not much of a savings. I like the idea of one unit that takes up less space but I can't help but think that the pre and power amp give you more kit for the price as they each have a separte power supply and their own metal casework.

Anyone have any personal experince or have any opnions?

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
£1500 will get you a Musical Fidelity M6 intergrated.... these are brand new with 2 year guarantee ... you can find them on google and ebay ..

These are no longer being made, hence the discounts. I think they are £1000 cheaper than what they used to sell for.

I have not heard one but did have an older A5 on loan a while back and was impressed .... Reviews on these M6 are good

If I had money, I would seriously consider auditioning one especially at this discount.

wdogg

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure how much difference there is between the ra-1570 and the rc-1570/rb-1552 setup. i do know that the improvement is when going from the rb-1552 to the rb-1582 power amp. if you can swing the price difference or find them used even the b&w north america rep mentioned that there was a sound improvement with the rc1570/rb-1582 setup over the ra-1570.

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm not such a fan of MF gear. I had the A1 (2008 version) and didn't get on with it.

As far as the 200 watt Rotel, I don't really need the extra power. Plus it's bigger and more heavy.

I will probably make the choice between the 1570 integrated or the 120 watt pre and power duo. That should drive just about most speakers good.

Which choice would any of you make?

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
If you don't see yourself changing components often, maybe the integrated is an easier setup. I haven't listened to either of these sets, but the RA-1570 integrated has also gotten much better reviews than the RC-1570 preamp—if you care about that. I would have thought they share pretty much everything, but just took a look and some specs are indeed different.

Did both sets sound the same to you?

Tomas

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I have auditioned both as you did but I didn't hear 500 Euro(over here) difference. Both sounds amazingy and you can hear difference next to each other, but will it be the same on the speakers you have home? I have both RA-1570 and I love it.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
If you plan to stick with this system for a long time the integrated maybe the better option, the pre / power route though of course gives you more scope to upgrade or try new gear should you want. Integrated is more fit and forget if that is what you want, personally I quite enjoy the hobby aspect of finding synergy between gear and I currently use a valve pre-amp with SS power which works for me.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Rotel RA-1570 or Marantz PM-8005 are a bulletproof solution for buying an integrated. But not sure if it would please someone who has a gear fetish in the long term.

I used the RB/RC pre+-pow combo in the hi-fi shop and its a good one, I would prefer it over the 1570 simply because I am a box swapper and I like to have my amp to be powerfull enough for most speakers out there. You can't hear the extra power from the separates untill you use a pair of speakers that suck current dry out of amps. You don't need it untill you need it, sort of a deal. And honestly there is not much of a size difference between the 1570 and the separates.

If I used bookshelf, I would go for the integrated. If I used B&W floorstanders, I would go for the pre-power. Well, TBH I would go for the pre+power everytime.

Looks wise I really really liked the old Rotel look. It gave the impression of menacing power and caged dragons under the bonnet, while still being stylish and modern both in black and silver. These days it looks like kitchenware, all to fancy for my taste. Marantz looks brilliant, but I don't like touching plastic faceplates, but I guess VFM has to come from somewhere. At least they didn't skimp on the important bits.

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Vlad for your opinions.

After a little research I did figure out a few differences between the two. Whether or not this translates into actual perceived sound differences is not proven. I'll still try to get in a proper listening comparison.

1. Obviously the price. A $400 dollar difference in the USA makes the decision that much harder. In the UK it's a bigger 500 Pound difference and that's an easy decision.

2. Separate power supplies.

3. The integrated has pre-out and amp-in connections on the back linked by cheap metal jumpers. A) This compromises the sound quality and must be replaced by RCA cable jumpers in which case does not save any money on cables over the pre and power package. B) These connection between the pre and power sections are RCA only while the pre and power amp could be linked via XLR Balanced cables. C) Hard to hook up a sub woofer because the line must be looped back into the amp section. The preamp has 2 line outs making this a much easier task.

4. Specs: RA-1570 vs. RC-1570 and RB 1552 mk2:

Weight 28.71 lbs. vs. 27.27 lbs (1552), Damping Factor 180 vs. 450, SN Ratio Line inputs 100 DB vs 110 DB (pre) and 120DB (power amp), Rated power 120 watts vs. 130 watts, The size (and weight) of the integrated and power amp are almost identical.

The specs tell me that the pre and power package should give a little more ultimate power with better control over the woofers of the speakers resulting in a tighter and deeper bass response. A cleaner ultimate loudness capability is also in the pre and power amps favor. It seems like the integrated amps pre amp and digital DAC sections might just be feeding off the power amp supply while the pre and power package have their own supplies. This must account for the slight variations in the specs.

The only two things the integrated amp version has going for it is a cheaper price and convenience of having one box. But these are two important categories that makes the decision of what to purchase difficult.

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
It sounds like you are leaning towards the pre/power combination. If your gut tells you you want the pre/power, and you can afford it, just go for it, you will be happy.

However, if you want to decide purely based on difference in sound, then I can tell you upfront that you would not be able to distinguish between them in a blind test.

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Why do you say that Laurens? Have you compared both of them before?

I suppose if I compared them side-by-side using fairly sensative and not demanding speakers, listened at regualr volume levels, removed the pre-out amp-in jumpers from back of the integrated amp and replaced them with the same RCA interconnects that the preamp and power-amp version was using, then yes, maybe that's true that I wouldn't be able to hear any differences.

Well, that's exactly what I'll try to do and hopefully find out the answers this weekend. :) I will try to use some more demanding speakers as well.

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Not necessarily this pair, but I have compared the RA-12 with the RA-1570 in a blind test, and a bunch more amplifiers. When I was at the control board, I could hear all the differences between all amps (NAD, Rotel, Marantz, Yamaha, CA). But when it was blind, it became even extremely difficult to identify brands even. The RA-12 and RA-1570 made absolutely no differences in the blind tests. Between brands in the same league is possible, but only when you listen very carefully to selected tracks. Within one brand it was indistinguishable.

Later on, I compared the RA-12 and RA-1570 at extremely high volumes. This is where you start hearing the differences, the RA-1570 could really come along with bass production, whereas the RA-12 probably wasn't able to deliver the current. But this was not really a volume you would listen to at home.

As I said, sighted I could definately distinguish between brands, still not within brands, but unsighted it proved extremely difficult. This is why I highly doubt you would hear the difference between the set-ups, especially at normal listening levels. Best thing is to try it out for yourself ofcourse ;)

snapoli2

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I've owned them both and can say - without regard - the pre-amp and 1552 mk2 sound better than the Ra-1570. Ra-1570 felt like it hit a ceiling much more quickly and I felt there was more floor noise. Needless to say I am really really happy with my decision and the Rc-1570 w/ Rb-1552 mk2 sound great. I want the 1582 but I like yourself just couldnt justify the power. A quality 120 is more than enough. The setup has a ton of bravado and sets a great stage for the price... and ain't they purtty? Good luck!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts