Rotel RA-1520 & RCD-1520: Which speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm new on this forum and new in the Hi-Fi world. Yesterday I've bought a nice Rotel amplifier and CD-player after reading (also on this forum) and demoing it. Now I'm looking for advice for speakers for this set. I know there are other topics about this same subject and MA RX and B&W 684 have been mentioned as good speakers for this amplifier. I loved the sound with the B&W 684 and I've read that B&W is good combination with Rotel.

But I think these floor speakers are too big for my room, which is 5 by 5 meters (16.5x16.5 feet). And also I've floor heating, so my floor has stone tiles with a small carpet on it. My distance to the speakers for listening is 3.5 meter (11.5 feet). So I've got 2 questions that I hope you can help me with.

Question 1: Are in these surroundings bookshelf speakers more appropriate than floor standers, because of the space (and maybe tiles)?

Question 2: Which speakers can you recommend with this Rotel set? I was thinking about the B&W 685 and KEF Q300 as bookshelf speakers. Really liked the Q300 with a Marantz PM6003.

I know I need to listen to different speakers, but no HiFi stores are nearby and not all have for instance a KEF and a B&W speaker. So I would like to limit the visits that I have to do and can visit the stores where they have the speakers that I want to listen to.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Chris

Welcome...

We used to have under floor heating and have carpet over cork tiles. Our room also measures 17' x 12' approx and my RS6s sound absolutely fine.

Sure try a pair of stand mounted speakers, B&W or PMC DB1is will both match the Rotel well. I am confident, however, the 684s are a fine match for the room and amp.

A

Anonymous

I've had the RA-1520 / B&W 684 combo for a few months now and couldn't be happier. Although my room is bigger than yours my listening distance would only be about 3.5m.

I also considered the 685's but by the time I included the cost of decent stands I was up near the 684 price and didn't think the 685's sounded nearly as good. To my ears the 684's had a much more convincing bass, even at very low volume.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

Thanks for you response. Now I now that the room is not too small for floor standers like B&W 684 and that B&W is a good match. I'm going to try them out.

I know that a bigger carpet would be better for the sound, but I like the floor tiles. And also my girlfriend does not want a bigger carpet in the room.

Best regards,

Chris

A

Anonymous

You could also audition B&W CM5 and CM8 and Totem Arro.

Good Luck!

TRENDING THREADS