Rotel RA-04 or Sony DG STR 820?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm a bit confused between which amp will best suit my living room setup. Currently the source will be a PS3 and a Sony A818 MP3 Player. I won't be using a cd player at all.

At the moment I have a pair of Bose Acoustimass Series 3 Stereo Speakers ( yeah I know! ) but was looking to replace them sometime in the future with a surround satellite package for movie watching but I will mainly be streaming music to the PS3.

I like the simplicity of the Rotel and the fact that it looks quite small and neat. I would have to connect it using the standard PS3 lead. It also has a MP3 line in.

The sony on the other hand is rather bulky but packs a lot of features and is the same price. This will also future proof me if I want to upgrade the Bose speakers. I can also use HDMI leads from the ps3 to the amp and then to my TV. I am a bit concerned about the sound quality compared to the Rotel though.

Can someone please give some advise!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
headfi:
I'm a bit confused between which amp will best suit my living room setup. Currently the source will be a PS3 and a Sony A818 MP3 Player. I won't be using a cd player at all.

At the moment I have a pair of Bose Acoustimass Series 3 Stereo Speakers ( yeah I know! ) but was looking to replace them sometime in the future with a surround satellite package for movie watching but I will mainly be streaming music to the PS3.

I like the simplicity of the Rotel and the fact that it looks quite small and neat. I would have to connect it using the standard PS3 lead. It also has a MP3 line in.

The sony on the other hand is rather bulky but packs a lot of features and is the same price. This will also future proof me if I want to upgrade the Bose speakers. I can also use HDMI leads from the ps3 to the amp and then to my TV. I am a bit concerned about the sound quality compared to the Rotel though.

Your sources won't do a stereo amp the justice it deserves. I would go with the Sony receiver.

Gerrardasnails:headfi:

Your sources won't do a stereo amp the justice it deserves. I would go with the Sony receiver.

Concur with gerrard. Without external sources like CD player, tuner, turntable etc. you won't maximize the Rotel's full potential.

A

Anonymous

The RA-04 is a two-channel hi-fi amp and your source is wasted on this. Go for the Sony instead and enjoy your movies.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice all. I think the Sony is the best way to go seeing as my music sources arn't the best and the Sony will allow me to use HDMI and surround in the future. It seems to be the best solution for a PS3.

Do I just require 2 HDMI leads from the PS3 to the amp and the amp to the TV?

What are the best budget 1m HDMI cables to go for? I don't want to spend too much on them - say £30 each max.

I've also heard that the HDMI lead won't make too much difference since it is digital therefore it is not too important to spend a fortune on them. Is this true?

A

Anonymous

headfi:
Thanks for the advice all. I think the Sony is the best way to go seeing as my music sources arn't the best and the Sony will allow me to use HDMI and surround in the future. It seems to be the best solution for a PS3.

Do I just require 2 HDMI leads from the PS3 to the amp and the amp to the TV?

What are the best budget 1m HDMI cables to go for? I don't want to spend too much on them - say £30 each max.

I've also heard that the HDMI lead won't make too much difference since it is digital therefore it is not too important to spend a fortune on them. Is this true?

Wrong section matey

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
2HDMI leads required, and TBH, cheap 1m HDMI leads are all similar - if they work, they work.

If you have a top-end setup, then expensive leads may make a difference, but with the PS3 you should be fine with ebay-specials.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts