rooms influence to bass performance

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
How much can bad speaker positioning affect to bass performance? I bought pair of cerwin-vega 12" speakers, and they are lacking bass, until I give it +6 boost, and even then they sound poor. It lacks the punch, that you feel in your chest and rumble in your gut. They sounds just like basic multimedia speakers. I have double checked everything (polarity, settings, sufficient RMS). May the bad room shape eliminate all the power of the bass this bad? Should I try the outdoor?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
What size is your room?

Which amplifier are you driving them with? And what is the impedance and sensitivity of your speakers? CW's are usually high sensitivity, so unless your amp isn't up to the job, there shouldn't be too much of a problem.

And yes, the room can have a huge effect on the bass performance of any speaker, particularly ported ones.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
How much can bad speaker positioning affect to bass performance? I bought pair of cerwin-vega 12" speakers, and they are lacking bass, until I give it +6 boost, and even then they sound poor. It lacks the punch, that you feel in your chest and rumble in your gut. They sounds just like basic multimedia speakers. I have double checked everything (polarity, settings, sufficient RMS). May the bad room shape eliminate all the power of the bass this bad? Should I try the outdoor?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ntune said:

bluedroog said:

Are you both having this problem?

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
What size is your room?

Which amplifier are you driving them with? And what is the impedance and sensitivity of your speakers? CW's are usually high sensitivity, so unless your amp isn't up to the job, there shouldn't be too much of a problem.

And yes, the room can have a huge effect on the bass performance of any speaker, particularly ported ones.

4.8 x 3.5m, sloped ceiling on both sides, speakers in the corner just under the slope.

SPL: 90.8 dB (@ 8 ohms @ 1 meter full). Im driving them with the t.amp E400. the t.amp E-400 stereo amplifier - output power: 2x 190W @ 4 ohms, 2x 120W @ 8 ohms thomann (@1kHz, THD<=0,1%), 20Hz-20kHz frequency response, >120 damping factor, XLR, balanced jack and RCA inputs, Speakon & Binding Post outputs. Protection: DC, short circuit, temperature & limiter. Power supply: 230V~50Hz. Dimensions: 482 x 317 x 88mm (19" rack/2U). Weight: 8.3 kgthe t.amp E-400 stereo amplifier - output power: 2x 190W @ 4 ohms, 2x 120W @ 8 ohms thomann (@1kHz, THD<=0,1%), 20Hz-20kHz frequency response, >120 damping factor, XLR, balanced jack and RCA inputs, Speakon & Binding Post outputs. Protection: DC, short circuit, temperature & limiter. Power supply: 230V~50Hz. Dimensions: 482 x 317 x 88mm (19" rack/2U). Weight: 8.3 kg

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ntune said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
What size is your room?

4.8 x 3.5m, sloped ceiling on both sides, speakers in the corner just under the slope.

SPL: 90.8 dB (@ 8 ohms @ 1 meter full). Im driving them with the t.amp E400.
the t.amp E-400 stereo amplifier - output power: 2x 190W @ 4 ohms, 2x 120W @ 8 ohms thomann (@1kHz, THD<=0,1%), 20Hz-20kHz frequency response, >120 damping factor, XLR, balanced jack and RCA inputs, Speakon & Binding Post outputs. Protection: DC, short circuit, temperature & limiter. Power supply: 230V~50Hz. Dimensions: 482 x 317 x 88mm (19" rack/2U). Weight: 8.3 kg
the t.amp E-400 stereo amplifier - output power: 2x 190W @ 4 ohms, 2x 120W @ 8 ohms thomann (@1kHz, THD<=0,1%), 20Hz-20kHz frequency response, >120 damping factor, XLR, balanced jack and RCA inputs, Speakon & Binding Post outputs. Protection: DC, short circuit, temperature & limiter. Power supply: 230V~50Hz. Dimensions: 482 x 317 x 88mm (19" rack/2U). Weight: 8.3 kg

Just to illustrate ntunes setup...

2jaan28.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/2jaan28.jpg (for bigger view)

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Lee H said:
cheeseboy said:
could be wrong but that looks more like a set up for very large room, used in a very small room. Super overkill! With all that wood as well, the sounds will bounce around like a powerball....

You're not wrong, but this one is a troll.

Exhibit A...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/room-acoustics-0?page=2

ahh fair enough, thanks for letting me know. That picture kind of reminded me of the start of back to the future :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts