Room layout conundrum

Okay -- as you may know I'm trying reconfigure our living room to make the hi-fi sound better and make more room for Mrs. P. I tried to scan a drawing but the scanner has gone west.

The room is 17' long x 12' wide the hi-fi/TV/DVD/Sky box is firing across the narrow side (12'), with the sofa opposite the hi-fi. By the right hand speaker is a bookcase which would be moved to where the sofa now sits and shifting the sofa in the space where the bookcase stands. (The DVD player and Sky box would sit underneath the hi-fi). The idea is to move the hi-fi and speakers by the window which has a back door by its side. This means the space for speakers would only be approx 5' 7" apart, and having the TV hinged to bracket on the same wall as it now stands. This would mean dispensing with the TV rack and moving the sofa.

The problem is the TV has a scart lead going to the TV. Clearly the Scart won't stretch, nor will the the leads from Sky box to TV

7567327524_94ea61e3d4_n.jpg

Just left by the left hand speaker is the wall and window. So imagine hinging the TV on the same wall as it sits, getting rid of the stand and moving the whole hi-fi rack to the left by the wall this may make it slightly clearer.

If you can make sense of this rubbish then advice would be appreciated. Off to the ma-in-laws now so won't reply until this evening.

(Can't take a photo - the camera is knackered).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Fix the telly to the wall (centrally betwixt speakers). Put the Skybox on the lower deck of the larger rack. Sling/recycle redundant rack.

Shufty the occupied rack to a central position just below the (now wallmounted) telly.

Yes there is the record deck, but if the lid is open (blocking the TV) then it's only because you are playing a record. If you are playing a record then you aren't watching the TV. So that shouldn't be a problem.

I know that's not ideal but it's a bit less cluttered. (One less rack.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
I would change scart for hdmi first! I cant really make out the other issues sorry. :oops:

I seem to remember that a unique combination of factors conspire to disallow an all HDMI connected setup.

Connectivity - or lack of - on the TV.

An old Sony DVD recorder (Freeview SD only and non HDMI) that is used as the TV tuner for the (Freeview HD enabled) TV that also provides Freeview radio to the hi-fi via RCA analogue leads. (Hence SCART.)

Also there is no DAC in the system (and no optical digital audio output on the TV).

I am not sure if the SkyBox is a new addition replacing the old Sony DVD recorder (Freeview SD tuner / part-time Freeview radio source), or used in addition to it.

Then there are various terrestrial (TV and FM + DAB) reception problems in his village that don't help matters. (And to further compound this, PP likes a number of local independent stations that have very low power output FM signals like Radio Jackie, XFM, Eagle Radio, Magic 105.4 and Absolute Radio 105.8.)

I connect my TV peripherals (BDP and PVR) with HDMI to our TV and a single optical digital cable (from the TV) takes digital audio to the optical input on the back of my hi-fi's built-in DAC.

I think PP is restricted in doing anything like that.

The last time we discussed this, PP was still getting only Freeview SD (courtesy of the Sony DVD recorder) through his TV (via SCART) but he said this was an acceptable sacrifice to enable him to get superior sounding (analogue RCA) Freeview radio.

Like I said earlier, this might have changed. I try to keep up.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
How about splitting the A from the V & getting a soundbar or a used all-in-in-one 5.1 for the TV & keeping the HiFi separate? You could pick up another SD Freeview box for peanuts if you want to continue to use that for radio.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
PP,

I know it doesnt help but I'm in the process of decorating and decided to split my hifi & AV into sperate rooms - pics to follw soon when its finished and I have delivery of my new hi fi rack and got it all set up!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts