Room for improvement for my system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there, i need some advice in whether is there any possibility to bring out the full potential of my existing system. My setup is as listed below --- Naim Nait 5i Naim CD5i Spendor S6 VDH D102 MKIII , VDH SCS 16 Isotek Gemini , with DIY powercord using DIY recipes from VH audio Generally i am pretty please with the sound but when listening to certain CDs i realize the Naim is typically a bit on the brightside when compared to my Primare A20 and D20 setup. Any advice? Thanks for reading my post.

A

Anonymous

IMHO, if you find it bright then you should find different speakers, Spendors are always top-shelf but aren't so soft. Getting the right speaker-boxes match is critical. I would say you might want to do an in-home audition with some neats.

A

Anonymous

I had audit neat motive with Larvardin amp in the dealer place but was not impress thus i got the spendor instead. The Spendor actually better with the NACA 5 cable, pretty laid back but the bass it too heavy thus i switch to VDH SCS 16.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="nexski"]Hi there, i need some advice in whether is there any possibility to bring out the full potential of my existing system. My setup is as listed below --- Naim Nait 5i Naim CD5i Spendor S6 VDH D102 MKIII , VDH SCS 16 Isotek Gemini , with DIY powercord using DIY recipes from VH audio Generally i am pretty please with the sound but when listening to certain CDs i realize the Naim is typically a bit on the brightside when compared to my Primare A20 and D20 setup. Any advice? Thanks for reading my post.[/quote]

Why did you change from primare and did you buy your current stuff all at the same time?

A

Anonymous

I had use the Primare setup for couple of years before the amp started acting up. I had repaired the amp couple of time at the authorize agent until i realize that it is not feasible and economical to get it repair any further. Thus after letting go the amp cheap to a reseller i decided to buy a Naim setup this round. I am pretty impress with the PRAT sounding when auditing and most importantly i can co-exist this amp using the unity bypass with my Yamaha AV amp. I had tried huntting around for amp that comes with an unity bypass but there isn't much option.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Kudos? Totem?
I found Naim really sing with Neat though (yes, I see what you posted!), last week i heard Naim 282/250 with Acoustic zen Adagio, they blew me away, AWESOME from top to bottom.....hairs on the back of the neck stuff if you know what i mean.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You've spent a considerable amount on your components so I could understand if you're a little bit hesitant to change any one of them. The most likely case is that your current system just shows up bad recordings, unfortunately a bi-product of high resolution playback. You will get used to it and my bet would be if you now go back to your previous primares you'd miss the extra rythm and attack, some of which especially if its leading edge transients which include many treble happy instruments can come over as brightness. Meanwhile, have you tried more obvious things such as loosing your line conditioner and using the power cords supplied with your equipment? Sometimes aftermarket improvements/solutions dont help.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
You've spent a considerable amount on your components so I could understand if you're a little bit hesitant to change any one of them. The most likely case is that your current system just shows up bad recordings, unfortunately a bi-product of high resolution playback. You will get used to it and my bet would be if you now go back to your previous primares you'd miss the extra rythm and attack, some of which especially if its leading edge transients which include many treble happy instruments can come over as brightness. Meanwhile, have you tried more obvious things such as loosing your line conditioner and using the power cords supplied with your equipment? Sometimes aftermarket improvements/solutions dont help.
[/quote]

I certainly agree with you that my Primare setup is more forgiving on poor recording but not for Naim. My initial setup for Naim was using stock power cord and without any line conditioner. But after doing some homework i started DIY couple of power cord with pretty good result. By adding line conditioner it bring the set to another level, the floor noise is lower on top of that music seems have better depth and definition. Beside the Naim gear seems to be rather sensitive on power cord too.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="nexski"][quote user="drummerman"]

[/quote] I certainly agree with you that my Primare setup is more forgiving on poor recording but not for Naim. My initial setup for Naim was using stock power cord and without any line conditioner. But after doing some homework i started DIY couple of power cord with pretty good result. By adding line conditioner it bring the set to another level, the floor noise is lower on top of that music seems have better depth and definition. Beside the Naim gear seems to be rather sensitive on power cord too.[/quote]

You seem like an inventive kind of chap that probably has'nt left a stone unturned in trying to make the system suit you. I think perhaps you just mis-matched. I know all your components but have never paired naim/spendor so can't really comment on that. Perhaps its back to square one for you.

TRENDING THREADS