Roksan Xerxes versus Roksan Radius

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I own a Radius deck with about 5 years on the clock, and I'm tempted my a nearly 20 year old Xerxes. The dealer has offered me possible part-ex and an audition too.

The most common issue with older Xerxes decks seems to be platter sag. Some say this can be resolved easily enough with the correct servicing and parts.

What I'd like to know before I go and listen to the deck are there other things I should know?

Does anyone out there have any Radius/Xerxes specific knowledge that would be of use?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Charlie Jefferson said:
I own a Radius deck with about 5 years on the clock, and I'm tempted my a nearly 20 year old Xerxes. The dealer has offered me possible part-ex and an audition too.

The most common issue with older Xerxes decks seems to be platter sag. Some say this can be resolved easily enough with the correct servicing and parts.

What I'd like to know before I go and listen to the deck are there other things I should know?

Does anyone out there have any Radius/Xerxes specific knowledge that would be of use?

Thanks.

There are a couple of fixes for the plinth sag on the Xerxes that causes azimuth problems when the arm and platter go out of aligment. One is a factory kit that usually means you return the deck to Roksan and they fit an aluminium brace or plate to take out the sag, the other is fitting an aftermarket (available on ebay) replacement plinth that will require some woodworking skills, neither solution seems ideal. I love the simple elegant aesthetics of the original Xerxes over the Radius but I bet the performance of the Radius is close. If you can take yout turntable into the dealer and audition it side by side against the Xerxes then you'll be able to determine if the risk is worth it. I've longed to have an original Xerxes for some time so I'd be willing to deal with the hassle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts