Roksan Xerxes versus Roksan Radius - opinions, thoughts???

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I've asked this question before and the general consensus was to stick with the Radius. Given the details that follow, is that still the prevailing advice?

A nine year old Xerxes with Linn Basik (?) arm with no cart or power supply (I would add my own accordingly) versus my current Radius with Nima arm and Goldring 2400 cartridge.

Any thoughts, anyone?

I think the general concensus was right.

Stick with what you have. The Xerxes is very different, somewhat awkward to set up. The Linn Basik is nowhere near the Nima in quality.

Stick with what you have until you can afford at least the earlier Roksan TMS + Tabriz would be my humble advise.

Better still flog the Nima and find a Tabriz Zi! :)

Charlie, I assumed you were talking about replacing one with the other. If however you are thinking of getting it a a 'backup' then maybe OK but I wouldn't pay extra for that arm.

My brother has my old Radius and when I owned it I got a very good deal on a second-hand Tabriz. Once fitted I was amazed by the sound that could be obtained. Having said that I have not used it with a Nima as I originally bought it without arm.

I don't know if you would consider it a sideways move but I am sure your setup could be improved with the Tabriz Zi if you are considering that type of thing.

I was never a great fan of the Xerxes having seen many with deformed top-plates (and yes I know you can buy replacements but that is not the point. To me it was a design fault.)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Yes, it was a case of one replacing the other.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Tabriz arm. But as you mention, it may be hard to quantify it in comparable terms with the Nima arm.

I've fancied taking a risk on a Tabriz arm but always thought that kind of money would be a decent chunk of any turntable upgrade package I might make.

As is often the case, I read about many decks but get the chance to hear few.

I'll give it some further thought whilst listening to records tonight.

Thanks for the input.

TRENDING THREADS