Roksan remote intermittent

Status
Not open for further replies.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi I have the Roksan Kandy K2 amp and CD player,bought new in August and find that just occasionally the remote signal doesn't work.Happens on both remote units. It's mainly evident when using the CD player. Eg, if I increment steadily through the tracks with the disc stopped,one press out of say 20 will not work. Remote bleeps but CD player doesn't respond. This is with the remote a metre away and with fresh batteries. Also the amp volume on occasions fails to respond to the remotes. Sometimes have to turn it down in order to turn it up as it seems to get stuck. I've no idea what causes the remotes or the units to miss commands. My CA 640C never had this problem. Seems to point to faulty IR receivers on the CD and amp as both remotes display the same problem.I've removed the protective film from both units.

Maybe being a bit fussy but this lot cost me around £1400!
Sounds great though :grin: Any K2 owners experiencing these remote unit symptoms? Any help appreciated. Dan

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi I have the same remote without any problems I would clean the ir sensor on cdp amp and remotes with lens cleaner as sometimes they get finger marks on them and this will case the problem :) :)

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Sure enough there were some light smudges on the remote transmitters. I think that might have been the problem.

Thanks

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, thought that was the problem but it's still there. As both remotes do it I think it's a fault with the CD player IR sensor.I've absolutely no idea what can cause the odd command to be ignored. It happens with the remote around 1 ft away.

It's under warranty so prehaps I'll take it back.

A

Anonymous

I once owned the kandy k2 Amp and also found that the volume failed to respond to my remote control commands.

so i phoned roksan and explained that i thought there was a problem with the remote control and they said to me to use alkaline batteries only and not those cheap carbon zinc batteries.

and to my amazment i never had a problem with the remote after changing the batteries to alkaline ones.

not sure if this helps but its worth a try.

80s boy

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks.

I'm using the original batteries (Duracell Procell) as I only bought the combo 4 months ago and these are Alkaline. The batteries in the LCD remote read 1.47v and maybe are a little flat but this shouldn't cause the remote to send dud signals.

The batteries in the RMX - 111 remote are 1.52v and this does the same.

I've got a £25 Technics CD player with a 100% reliable remote so I'm puzzled.

A

Anonymous

Yep

I have a very new Roksan Kandy K2 Amp and the remote is very tempermental. Bugs the hell out of me. I have just put it down to being ....'British' Ha ha and not from the Orient. I really should get round to contacting the Dealer or Roksan, but it felt a little petty, so it is very interesting that others are experiencing similar issues.

Any ideas Roksan?

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Pauldosteo said:
I really should get round to contacting the Dealer or Roksan, but it felt a little petty

Same here but Infra red remote control has been around for years and it should work properly on a £750 amp or CD player.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
The CD player's gone back to the shop and Roksan are taking a look at it as it's under warranty. One of the staff checked both remotes with a demo Kandy CD player and surprisingly the same thing happened.

mbinz

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I have just bought the K2 to go with the Audiolab 8200cd. When I unpacked it at home I really didn't like the new replacement remote for it. The buttons are so small I can only operate it by using my finger nail... This was in stark contrast to the swanky rmx-108, which has decent size buttons and the touch screen. I bought the amp for its clean sound, but felt the new remote really lets down the quality feel of the product, as it really does not feel as well made as the amp obviously is. I was very fortunate in that the store I purchsed from agreed and gave me the unused remote that came with their demo kit (as they had the cd player and amp on demo they only used a single remote). I purchased my K2 from Richer Sounds, and the service they provided has been amazing...

Even if the old 108 remote is only ably to control six devices, I would rather manually set it up than have the flexability of downloading codes onto the rmx-111 from the internet... I certainly would not prefer to use the rmx-111 to remote control all my audio/video equipment! (even if it means having the 108 as my audio remote and using my Panasonic remote for the Visual kit.)

I did find out that although the rmx-108 had been superceded by the rmx-111 as of July 2012, it does seem to be still available as a purchased accessory... at a price, (at least while stocks last I guess).

I am just about to program up the 108, so it might be interesting to know if the intermitant issues apply to both the 108 and the 111, or if they are specific to one particular remote.

As you purchased your amp in august, which remote are you refering to... I guess depending on the age of the stock you could have the rmx-108, or if it was freshly ordered stock you may have the new rmx-111? (Although functionally they should both be reliable...)

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
danrv said:
The CD player's gone back to the shop and Roksan are taking a look at it as it's under warranty. One of the staff checked both remotes with a demo Kandy CD player and surprisingly the same thing happened.

Hi hope you have got this sorted please post and let us know whats going on :cheers:

mbinz

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Meanwhie here's some additional info... (and yes, please post back as to the findings, as I would be interested as well...)

...After checking through the RMX-108 manual downloaded from the roksan site, it seems there is a misprint in the manual... and it starts refering to an SRC-1600. With a quick search this turns up www.sun-wave.com who are the oem supplier of many remote controls. The new roksan remote is their SRC-1200.

In any case, if you download the manual for the SRC-1600 (if you have the RMX-108 ) it contains far more information on seting up and using the remote, including adding softkeys to the displaythe softkey descriptions as well as displaying the equipment IR codes etc... there is also a pdf listing all the pre-programmed in codes that can be used, and how to use the code number to manually preset the IR code of the seperate item. I didn't find any mention of how to use the 'code' button in the Roksan remote manual. For example; page 11 explains how to change the layout of the soft keys...

http://www.sun-wave.com/indexe.php?module=downloade&files=downloade&product_id=1173064083&title=Download&title2=SRC-1600

...anyway, there is mention on page 22 of a protection feature that disables the sending of the ir code when a button is pressed if the remote has been inactive for 15 seconds; is this what you are seeing? (although if you move the remote, it wil take it back out of the 'inactive' mode... so I suspect not...?

...I have had a play with this rmx-108, and I have found no issues with it. There are a couple of caveats to that tho... (I used the input select function so that it cycled through the inputs rather than the volume control!) If you press a button repeatedly, it can miss button presses if there is not sufficient time between each button press. Pressing every half second or so, there is no issue at all, trying to press as fast as you can, and it will miss every so often! (I suspect this is due to it rquiring a finite time to respond).

The other caveat is if you keep your button depressed, it will respond with one beep but repaet the commands at a preset rate. But after 40 or 50 it will stop unless you remove your finger.

I have not checked out the usage for the RMX-111/SRC-1200, but suspect there may be more useful info for that as well... Maybe this will be usefull to someone tho? (I didn't mean to pinch the thread, just thought it might be usefull and relevant!) `¬)

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I too bought the amp and CD player from Richer Sounds and they also gave me the RMX-108 remote from their demo system as mine was rattling but then theirs does also .

Richer Sounds have sent the unit to Roksan so probabaly won't have it over Christmas. Using my CA Azur 640C instead.

I'll check out those instructions but the RMX-108 has gone back with the CD player and I'm using the RMX-111 now. Both remotes display the same intermittent behaviour so the fault must be with the CD player. As previously mentioned the demo CD player in the shop also does it.

Will keep you posted on progress.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
danrv said:
Thanks for the info. I too bought the amp and CD player from Richer Sounds and they also gave me the RMX-108 remote from their demo system as mine was rattling but then theirs does also .

Richer Sounds have sent the unit to Roksan so probabaly won't have it over Christmas. Using my CA Azur 640C instead.

I'll check out those instructions but the RMX-108 has gone back with the CD player and I'm using the RMX-111 now. Both remotes display the same intermittent behaviour so the fault must be with the CD player. As previously mentioned the demo CD player in the shop also does it.

Will keep you posted on progress.
Good luck with that hope all goes well :) :)

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I have the unit back now from Roksan. They've fitted a new FL tube as the original display was very patchy in brightness. Nice and bright now.

Although the engineer couldn't replicate the IR remote problem, the IR sensor on the unit has been replaced so hoping that will be ok now.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, the display looks nice and bright but I do believe the remote problem with missing the occassional command is still present. This is completely baffling as the IR receiver on tthe CD player has been replaced. Does it with both remotes and also with another Kandy CD player and RMX-108 remote in Richer Sounds where I purchased it.

Email from Roksan:

'We have replaced FL tube for dim display and for intermittent missing command from remote, our technician could not replicate this fault but for long term reliability we have replace IR receiver & tested working with remote'.

Strange how nobody else has noticed this as it looks as though they all do it. Not a big problem as the remote works 99% of the time but very odd none the less.

Aleksa

Nov 23, 2022
Visit site
I have just bought the K2 to go with the Audiolab 8200cd. When I unpacked it at home I really didn't like the new replacement remote for it. The buttons are so small I can only operate it by using my finger nail... This was in stark contrast to the swanky rmx-108, which has decent size buttons and the touch screen. I bought the amp for its clean sound, but felt the new remote really lets down the quality feel of the product, as it really does not feel as well made as the amp obviously is. I was very fortunate in that the store I purchsed from agreed and gave me the unused remote that came with their demo kit (as they had the cd player and amp on demo they only used a single remote). I purchased my K2 from Richer Sounds, and the service they provided has been amazing...

Even if the old 108 remote is only ably to control six devices, I would rather manually set it up than have the flexability of downloading codes onto the rmx-111 from the internet... I certainly would not prefer to use the rmx-111 to remote control all my audio/video equipment! (even if it means having the 108 as my audio remote and using my Panasonic remote for the Visual kit.)

I did find out that although the rmx-108 had been superceded by the rmx-111 as of July 2012, it does seem to be still available as a purchased accessory... at a price, (at least while stocks last I guess).

I am just about to program up the 108, so it might be interesting to know if the intermitant issues apply to both the 108 and the 111, or if they are specific to one particular remote.

As you purchased your amp in august, which remote are you refering to... I guess depending on the age of the stock you could have the rmx-108, or if it was freshly ordered stock you may have the new rmx-111? (Although functionally they should both be reliable...)
I have rmx -108 for Roxan K2. Since yesterday, neither his buttons to select the device nor mine to turn up or down work. I did a factory reset through setup but it still doesn't work. I don't have a cable to hang it on the PC. Help who knows

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts