admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi again everyone...My current antiquated system as some of you may know consists of a TRIO KR 7400 receiver,and Pioneer PD-M603 cd player...(lucky if they're worth 20 quid on Ebay)...Speakers are KEF104 A/B on stainless steel plates and spikes.I'd really like to keep the them , when funds permit i am finding myself drawn to the Roksan Kandy K2 amp with matching cd player......my question is , what are your thoughts will the speakers fit into this system or is it a matter of suck it and see...Also what speaker cable should i use , the runs will be approx 2 metres max..just to complicate the matter a little i'm also drawn to the Cyrus CD6SE/6vs2 set up...but the comment about the cd loading mechanism not being up to the standards of the rest of the build quality puts me off a bit.....

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I don't know your speakers but the Roksan is a tidy and 'sweet' sounding amplifier with no hard edges. Good and bad. Bass can be slightly loose and boomy with the wrong speakers (MA RS6 for example) but the rest is nice and unfatiguing if a little uninspiring to my ears. Best with standmounts that have good bass (damping). As always, my opinion only.

matthewpiano

The KEFs are pretty neutral so they'll simply tell you what the rest of the system is doing. I doubt you have ever tapped their full potential so it should be fun trying them with a range of different amps.

Add the Cambridge Audio 840A to your list of potential amps. Its cleaner sounding than the K2 and should be a good match to your KEFs.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:The KEFs are pretty neutral so they'll simply tell you what the rest of the system is doing. I doubt you have ever tapped their full potential so it should be fun trying them with a range of different amps.

Add the Cambridge Audio 840A to your list of potential amps. Its cleaner sounding than the K2 and should be a good match to your KEFs.

What happened to your Marantz KI player and A400 amp?
emotion-1.gif

matthewpiano

drummerman:
matthewpiano:The KEFs are pretty neutral so they'll simply tell you what the rest of the system is doing. I doubt you have ever tapped their full potential so it should be fun trying them with a range of different amps.

What happened to your Marantz KI player and A400 amp?
emotion-1.gif

Sold. I really liked them, particularly the amp, but I was a bit nervous about relying on fairly old kit for too long and knew that the NAD would give me equally good performance but with a touch more warmth. Audiocom bought the KI off me on Ebay.

The NAD works very well with the Quad speakers and the performance of the 340C has been a big surprise. The amp/speaker combination is fixed now, and the only tweak I'll probably make with the CD player will be to add a DacMagic which I will use with both the CD player and my laptop/Squeezebox.

SteveR750

KEFMAN:Hi again everyone...My current antiquated system as some of you may know consists of a TRIO KR 7400 receiver,and Pioneer PD-M603 cd player...(lucky if they're worth 20 quid on Ebay)...Speakers are KEF104 A/B on stainless steel plates and spikes.I'd really like to keep the them , when funds permit i am finding myself drawn to the Roksan Kandy K2 amp with matching cd player......my question is , what are your thoughts will the speakers fit into this system or is it a matter of suck it and see...Also what speaker cable should i use , the runs will be approx 2 metres max..just to complicate the matter a little i'm also drawn to the Cyrus CD6SE/6vs2 set up...but the comment about the cd loading mechanism not being up to the standards of the rest of the build quality puts me off a bit.....

There is nothing wrong with the 6's loading mechanism, simply the software that controls it. So long as you have an updated version described in other threads then its no less reliable than any other make and arguably offers more accurate data retrieval. Even the old level software isnt really a huge issue for a lot of users, I'm normally the first in a queue to complain about things but strangely I am almost fond of its little quirks. Then again I love old Alfasuds so maybe I'm not the most qualified to offer an opinion.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestions, and please keep them coming...It seems like the field has opened up with some more makes..My head is spinning now i think i need a lie down in a dark anechoic chamber
emotion-7.gif

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
A search will throw up a few places doing the previous version Kandy CD and amp as a package deal for £950.

Seeing as they were £650 each that seems like a good deal. I think they even do next day delivery for free.

Big Chris:A search will throw up a few places doing the previous version Kandy CD and amp as a package deal for £950. Seeing as they were £650 each that seems like a good deal. I think they even do next day delivery for free.

Yeah, I agree - I haven't heard the K2 so can't comment. When What Hi-Fi did a one-make test on the old Kandy MKIII about 3 years ago, the amp & CD player received 4 stars, were paired with Kef IQ5's, it stormed to victory.

I personally have tested Kandy LIII and it's a great amp: one note slight caution. Although it ticked all the boxes, I found (personally) the LIII too be a tad boistrous with certain types of music. If you prefer laid back presentation, look elsewhere.

Alternatively try Primare I21, Marantz SA-7001KI or Arcam DIVA A80 or A85.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts