Roksan Kandy K2 versus NAD

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I'd appreciate comments from anybody that has owned both,

Does the K2 kickout as much solid bass as the NAD?

What improves with the K2 over the NAD?

Did you find the K2 worth the price difference?

Thanks,

-Jax

A

Anonymous

I've asked many questions about the K2 & Naim 5i compared to NAD here, still haven't got any proper answers, so this should be interesting!

SteveR750

I have just upgraded my trusty C352 for a Kandy K2, and yes the difference is palpable, in fact its huge. The bottom end has as much slam but much much more control, and depth. Notes stop and start more precisely, and its so much easier to pick out say a bass guitarists tune and timing. Get one you will love it.

A

Anonymous

SteveR750:I have just upgraded my trusty C352 for a Kandy K2, and yes the difference is palpable, in fact its huge. The bottom end has as much slam but much much more control, and depth. Notes stop and start more precisely, and its so much easier to pick out say a bass guitarists tune and timing. Get one you will love it.

Did you audition the new Naim 5i by any chance? Or any other amps around the same price range as the K2?

A

Anonymous

SteveR750:I have just upgraded my trusty C352 for a Kandy K2, and yes the difference is palpable, in fact its huge. The bottom end has as much slam but much much more control, and depth. Notes stop and start more precisely, and its so much easier to pick out say a bass guitarists tune and timing. Get one you will love it.

I have only made the comparison with BR2 speakers but as good as the NAD is, yes I can't disagree with the above really.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano:BTW jaxwired, am I correct in thinking you had a pair of Spendors? I notice you've now got Dyns in your sig. What made you change?

Yes, I'm dumping the spendors. Very quick, here's why...while they are the best I've heard with jazz, classical, and acoustic material, they are just too rolled off on low frequencies for popular music. This makes a lot of the pop music I listen to seem a touch harsh because of the anemic low frequency output. I think they are too neutral. Anyway, I'm searching again. Using the Dyns in the mean time... Kind of embarassed about the whole thing, but what can I do. It is what it is as we yanks say...

-Jax

matthewpiano

jaxwired:
matthewpiano:BTW jaxwired, am I correct in thinking you had a pair of Spendors? I notice you've now got Dyns in your sig. What made you change?

Yes, I'm dumping the spendors. Very quick, here's why...while they are the best I've heard with jazz, classical, and acoustic material, they are just too rolled off on low frequencies for popular music. This makes a lot of the pop music I listen to seem a touch harsh because of the anemic low frequency output. I think they are too neutral. Anyway, I'm searching again. Using the Dyns in the mean time... Kind of embarassed about the whole thing, but what can I do. It is what it is as we yanks say...

-Jax

No embarrassment necessary. We all reverse changes sometimes. Just look at how many 'upgrades' I made over the last 18 months, to end up back where I started with a NAD C325BEE.

If its not right, its not right. Good luck with your search.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano:Just look at how many 'upgrades' I made over the last 18 months, to end up back where I started with a NAD C325BEE. If its not right, its not right. Good luck with your search.

That's why I'm afraid to buy a K2. While I'd love to improve on my amp, I'm afraid I'd be less satisfied. I love the 355, but the common advice is that I can do a lot better (I'm very skeptical that it's possible...).

A

Anonymous

jaxwired:

-Jax

Forgive me if this sounds patronising but have you tried the A6s on some significantly improved amplification? They're capable of a huge amount of high quality bass but, like my SA1s, need some power up them to get the result. Something like the A6s probably want a something like a Primare I30, Musical Fidelity A5.5, Cyrus MonoX, Quad 909, etc to get the results. Don't give in, they eat baby Dyns for breakfast everyday
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

BTW, just out of interest while I'm on the topic, I changed my preamp at the weekend and the bass depth, control, punch and detail has vastly improved. Amp, amp, amp...

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
igglebert:Forgive me if this sounds patronising but have you tried the A6s on some significantly improved amplification? They're capable of a huge amount of high quality bass but, like my SA1s, need some power up them to get the result. Something like the A6s probably want a something like a Primare I30, Musical Fidelity A5.5, Cyrus MonoX, Quad 909, etc to get the results. Don't give in, they eat baby Dyns for breakfast everyday
emotion-5.gif

You do not sound patronizing (US spelling) at all. It's an excellent point and I've considered changing amp and source, but I don't want to chase a dead end at great expense. Believe me, the spendors sound amazing with the right music. That's why I was so blown away at first. I use to own B&W CM7's which are no slouch either, and if I were to carefully pick the perfect song and compare, the spendors would win everytime. However, overall entertainment value with any music genre, the CM7's win. Mainly because they are not as accurate and neutral as the spendors. They are tuned for excitement, not realism.

Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to try higher quality amps without buying them. I'm convinced at this point that speaker nirvana does not exists and to pursue it is folly. I've considered keeping the spendors and buying something else and switching between them based on music played. I think that is what you would really need to do to be completely satisfied, but ultimately I really don't want the extra clutter. The dyns are just temporary. Looking at the ADAM's (just kidding).

A

Anonymous

Choices, choices, choices... S/H from my local hifi Emporium -- and more locally for you try Audiogon.

Krell KAV-300i
150 watt integrated amp w/remote.

$825.00

Exposure 3010
55 wpc integrated amplifier. Remote included.

$825.00

Meridian 557

200 watt power amp. Very musical.

$975.00

Musical Fidelity X-P200
125 watt per channel amplifier. Bridgeable to 250w mono.

$775.00

Odyssey Stratos
150 watt amp w/upgraded power supply capacitance (120,000 uf) & Groneburg series III wiring package.

$725.00

Shanling A-3000
200 wpc Integrated amp w/tube input stage (6922) & remote

$1,525.00

New
http://echohifi.com/purchase.php?addtocart=452

Valve Audio Predator

200 watt per channel integrated amplifier w/ tube input stage & Remote.

$1,395.00

SteveR750

Pmaninit:

Did you audition the new Naim 5i by any chance? Or any other amps around the same price range as the K2?

I audioned the following:

Nait 5i CD and amp combo

Cyrus CD6 SE and 6 amp

Cyrus CD6 and Kandy K2

I decided that the K2 and hte CD6 were the strongest elements to my ears through B&W 685's. The Nait amp was a bit to lean for me...

A

Anonymous

jaxwired:

Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to try higher quality amps without buying them.

Jax, you can always try AA with their 30-day return policy, atleast once.

A

Anonymous

SteveR750:Pmaninit:

I audioned the following:

Nait 5i CD and amp combo

Cyrus CD6 SE and 6 amp

Cyrus CD6 and Kandy K2

I decided that the K2 and hte CD6 were the strongest elements to my ears through B&W 685's. The Nait amp was a bit to lean for me...

I see, probably the same for me then.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

jaxwired:
igglebert:Forgive me if this sounds patronising but have you tried the A6s on some significantly improved amplification? They're capable of a huge amount of high quality bass but, like my SA1s, need some power up them to get the result. Something like the A6s probably want a something like a Primare I30, Musical Fidelity A5.5, Cyrus MonoX, Quad 909, etc to get the results. Don't give in, they eat baby Dyns for breakfast everyday
emotion-5.gif

You do not sound patronizing (US spelling) at all. It's an excellent point and I've considered changing amp and source, but I don't want to chase a dead end at great expense. Believe me, the spendors sound amazing with the right music. That's why I was so blown away at first. I use to own B&W CM7's which are no slouch either, and if I were to carefully pick the perfect song and compare, the spendors would win everytime. However, overall entertainment value with any music genre, the CM7's win. Mainly because they are not as accurate and neutral as the spendors. They are tuned for excitement, not realism.

Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to try higher quality amps without buying them. I'm convinced at this point that speaker nirvana does not exists and to pursue it is folly. I've considered keeping the spendors and buying something else and switching between them based on music played. I think that is what you would really need to do to be completely satisfied, but ultimately I really don't want the extra clutter. The dyns are just temporary. Looking at the ADAM's (just kidding).

Jaxwired,

That's a real shame about the Spendors. I bought mine around the same time as you and have been following your various posts regarding them with interest. As Igglebert suggests, I think the problem lies with your amp (sorry I know this doesn't help your situation). I power mine with a Roksan Caspian and this combination is at times staggering, to the point that I now cannot have the volume above 1/3 as they literally shake the room and everything in it (a 17ft by 13ft room so not bad going). I think partnering them with a better amp would make a huge difference. If this isn't an option for you what about the Spendor A5's (or has your experience with the A6's soured your opinion of Spendors ?).

indietronic

May 21, 2008
Visit site
i'm also considering an upgrade nad 3100-->roksan k2 as a better choice for my epos m12.2 . someone who used to have both nad and k2 please give me more details and impressions ... i need a less muddy sound in low/middle freqs, a tighter bass, and a sort-of relaxing sound for hours of listening... (music is jazz/classical/old rock) ca k2 be that perfect match for my epos m12.2 ?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Spacehopper:

That's a real shame about the Spendors. I bought mine around the same time as you and have been following your various posts regarding them with interest. As Igglebert suggests, I think the problem lies with your amp (sorry I know this doesn't help your situation). I power mine with a Roksan Caspian and this combination is at times staggering, to the point that I now cannot have the volume above 1/3 as they literally shake the room and everything in it (a 17ft by 13ft room so not bad going). I think partnering them with a better amp would make a huge difference. If this isn't an option for you what about the Spendor A5's (or has your experience with the A6's soured your opinion of Spendors ?).

You guys have talked me into keeping the spendors a little longer to experiment. Can't spring for a caspian. I do have a source for a discounted K2, but I'm skeptical that will make a big difference. But there's not rush to do anything. I've moved the room around and now I have one of the spendors closer to a corner and it has made a pretty noticable difference. I'm considering trying a rega apollo as my source to see if that helps. The CD player I'm using is dynamite, but it's a very attacking player and while I really like the detail, I think if I had a smoother more laid back CDP, the bass would be more in balance with the upper frequencies.

Anyway, I'm still playing with this...I'll keep you posted.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
without being in any way disparaging, i would have to say the spendors are begging for better electronics. might be worth maxing your budget on some 2nd hand kit which you could sell on without loss if it didn't give what you are after. might be difficult to source 2nd hand, but i thought the caspian cdp had very strong bass, i haven't heard the matching amp but it if has a similar character could be just right.

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
I would definitely keep the spendors and trade in the NAD. If nothing else, you'll lose big money on the spendors flogging them on after buying them from new. But regardless of this, they are tippity top, and will give you much better service with your spare $$s going on an amp that will allow them to spread their wings

matthewpiano

Its a difficult one. Personally I think you'll get excellent performance by combining your existing electronics with speakers which are more suitable partners. The other path is going to lead to serious spending on amp and source to get the sound you are looking for and it still might be that the sonic signature of the Spendors isn't totally what you are looking for.

As well as auditioning alternative electronics with the Spendors, I'd recommend auditioning alternative speakers with the NAD kit. See how big the performance gap turns out to be and make a decision then based on whether you are convinced that the outlay will make upgrades worthwhile.

A

Anonymous

How about this recommendation of purchasing the NAD C272 and using that along with your amp? that seems to be the best suggestion, since you obviously really the sound of the NAD.

A

Anonymous

The truth of the matter is, none of us wants to spend our own money and would much rather you did it, and tell us all about it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts