Roksan Caspian bi-amp option

ANWKLO

May 12, 2010
Visit site
My existing system are Roksan Kandy K2 CDP, Caspian M1 Integrated Amp and Roksan FR-5 loudspeakers.

Please advise which of the following is better for bi-amping?

1. Roksan Caspian M1 stereo power amp

2. Roksan Caspian M2 stereo power amp

SteveR750

The answer lies in what speakers you use / intend to use and whether they benefit from bi-amping. Personally I have never found much improvement for the £s spent, nowhere near what you get by going to a 2 x mono (which *should* cost about the same)

ANWKLO

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Have you try the Caspian bi-amp? The Caspian mono block should be better in terms of higher damping factor. The mono block need a good preamp / Caspian preamp. Adding a stereo power amp to my existing system may be the easiest way for upgrading. :)

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Sorry if you’ve covered this before but can you explain a little about what you are trying to achieve? I can only assume that you feel the M1 integrated is not driving the FR-5’s well (enough)?

In very general terms, bi-amping reduces the load placed on each ‘leg’ of the amplifier by the speaker. So in theory, the amp has slightly more headroom than would otherwise be the case. Whether you perceive this as an ‘upgrade’ or not might be debatable as results from bi-amping seem to vary.

I have no direct experience of bi-amping with Roksan kit but I used to run a bi-amped Meridian set up. With respect, I think you’d be heading down a blind alley by purchasing either of the amps you mention and running them with your current integrated amp. The FR-5’s are pretty demanding and I’d go with using monoblocs instead and when funds allow swapping out the integrated for a dedicated pre-amp. That is actually where I experienced the biggest gain in my old set up.

You may be looking for an ‘easy’ upgrade but if I were you I’d be saving for longer and getting the pre/mono’s in one go.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I recently demo'ed the Caspian power amp m2 to see what difference bi amping would make.

I listened with the integrated and then with the power amp in bi amp configuration, was with a pair of B&W CM9's.

There is no real improvement in sound quality but could hear the speakers working better a bit more control in all areas but I can't find it in myself to spend £1000 plus for a slight enhancement .I am sure I could spend that money in other areas to get a better improvement.
I have just had a result from the taxman so am looking to blow some cash and this could be a consideration but hard to justify.

I can not comment on how this would compare with monoblocks but I would assume you would need to look at a pre amp instead of an integrated which I guess is a slightly different game and there will be many here with experience of such set ups who can advise better than I.

Good luck and have fun

ANWKLO

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Bodfish said:
Sorry if you’ve covered this before but can you explain a little about what you are trying to achieve? I can only assume that you feel the M1 integrated is not driving the FR-5’s well (enough)?

In very general terms, bi-amping reduces the load placed on each ‘leg’ of the amplifier by the speaker. So in theory, the amp has slightly more headroom than would otherwise be the case. Whether you perceive this as an ‘upgrade’ or not might be debatable as results from bi-amping seem to vary.

I have no direct experience of bi-amping with Roksan kit but I used to run a bi-amped Meridian set up. With respect, I think you’d be heading down a blind alley by purchasing either of the amps you mention and running them with your current integrated amp. The FR-5’s are pretty demanding and I’d go with using monoblocs instead and when funds allow swapping out the integrated for a dedicated pre-amp. That is actually where I experienced the biggest gain in my old set up.

You may be looking for an ‘easy’ upgrade but if I were you I’d be saving for longer and getting the pre/mono’s in one go.

I have been using the system for over 1.5 year. Actually, the FR-5 is not much demanding speakers. M1 integrated amp can drive them efficiency and out of the box. I have heard M1 integrated amp pre-out to 2 Caspian monoblocks, the separation is better, seems much power reserved. The sounds are much softer too.

ANWKLO

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Shanka said:
Hi I recently demo'ed the Caspian power amp m2 to see what difference bi amping would make. I listened with the integrated and then with the power amp in bi amp configuration, was with a pair of B&W CM9's. There is no real improvement in sound quality but could hear the speakers working better a bit more control in all areas but I can't find it in myself to spend £1000 plus for a slight enhancement .I am sure I could spend that money in other areas to get a better improvement. I have just had a result from the taxman so am looking to blow some cash and this could be a consideration but hard to justify. I can not comment on how this would compare with monoblocks but I would assume you would need to look at a pre amp instead of an integrated which I guess is a slightly different game and there will be many here with experience of such set ups who can advise better than I. Good luck and have fun

Thank you for your sharing.

I have heard the M2 bi-amp, but have not compared M2 integrtaed amp alone. It seems the m2 bi-amp sounds softer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts