Rocket Scientist converts stereo into 3D sound.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Scientist Edgar Choueiri has converted stereo into 3D sound.

UH OH !!!

I have mentioned this on another thread but i think this is quite substantial.

Ken Kreisel is working on new speakers that may involve 3D sound not necessarily linked to the above but his potential new logo clearly show 3D in it here.

3D Sound on they way ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
By no means the first such tech, but most efforts to date have been aimed at headphones - Dolby Headphone, the Monster tech covered here, etc. - where crosstalk between the channels can be better controlled, or limited to applications mainly designed for close-up listening, such as SRS TruSurround, Dolby Virtual Speaker, etc..

A

Anonymous

I remember, a while back, reading an article, that sound designers where working on new sound formats and additional speaker positions to supplement 3D films because they'd thought the sound should interact differently with this type of content. But not heard anything since.

A

Anonymous

The best exmple of this kind of Binaural recording is the Virtual Barbershop on Youtube - it's quite creepy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

It only really works with headphones, where as your link has been designed to work through speakers...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
markjaspi:I remember, a while back, reading an article, that sound designers where working on new sound formats and additional speaker positions to supplement 3D films because they'd thought the sound should interact differently with this type of content. But not heard anything since.

The big CE companies spoke of '3D sound' for their new 3D Blu-ray systems launched at CES. The systems include speakers designed to disperse sound over a wider area.

LG promises a 'vertical 3D effect channel' - story here

Similar story with Sony, which promises '3D surround sound' for its 2011 systems - story here

Samsung, meanwhile, talks of advanced vertical surround sound

Will be great to get these new systems in and test out those bold claims!

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
What interesting about this is that it could be used in a manufactured TV not sure about cost implications yet but it could improve standard TV sound maybe.

A

Anonymous

Oooh 3D sound next then? Maybe we can all buy new amps to process this new 3D sound along with our new 3D TV, new 3D Blu-Ray player, new 3D glasses and then new 1.4 HDMI leads to hook up all of our new 3D kit. Maybe in time we will be given the opportunity to replace our speakers with '3D' versions also?
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Daveee:Oooh 3D sound next then? Maybe we can all buy new amps to process this new 3D sound along with our new 3D TV, new 3D Blu-Ray player, new 3D glasses and then new 1.4 HDMI leads to hook up all of our new 3D kit. Maybe in time we will be given the opportunity to replace our speakers with '3D' versions also?
emotion-1.gif

You never know, for once this may not require a device update, maybe just a firmware update, most new AVRs have additional height or wide channels built in with their own amplification. Maybe these new channels could be encoded on to the 3D blu ray to make use of these channel via discrete encoding, not the alcarythm they are using currently, maybe a firmware update could do this. Wishful thinking I know!

A

Anonymous

markjaspi:Daveee:Oooh 3D sound next then? Maybe we can all buy new amps to process this new 3D sound along with our new 3D TV, new 3D Blu-Ray player, new 3D glasses and then new 1.4 HDMI leads to hook up all of our new 3D kit. Maybe in time we will be given the opportunity to replace our speakers with '3D' versions also?
emotion-1.gif
You never know, for once this may not require a device update, maybe just a firmware update, most new AVRs have additional height or wide channels built in with their own amplification. Maybe these new channels could be encoded on to the 3D blu ray to make use of these channel via discrete encoding, not the alcarythm they are using currently, maybe a firmware update could do this. Wishful thinking I know!

The definition of optimism there Markjaspi! Even if our current amps were capable via a firmware upgrade I doubt the manufacturers would miss the chance to sell us all new ones.

A

Anonymous

Yeh I know your right, but put it this way, my new AVR (with my new speakers due this week) sounds pretty awesome to me based on the demo I had recently, so they won't be getting any extra cash out of my for a while, I'm not even sold on the idea of 3D video yet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts