rock music what speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear what hifiers,

I own a nice set of AVI ADM9.1's wich i really like, but with rock music they are not very enjoyable. I don't know why but they are too polite I think, with or without subwoofer I doesn't gel very good with Bruce Springsteen, Led Zep, Metallica, Bob Dylan etc. Vocals (female) are beautiful by the way.

Now I am planning to move my ADM too my study room and place a new set-up in my living room.

What cd-amp-speaker combo do you guys think will give me a nice sound when listening my favourite rock albums? Budget is 4,000-6,000 pounds.

My room is 22 sq meters.

thanks in advance

rory

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Funny, someone leads us to believe that the 9.1's are better than everything else....

Going by experience, I'd have a look at the ProAc Repsonse D18's with a Cyrus PreXPD (onoard DACs) and X Power, which should set you back just under £4,500. We find a lot of people choose the ProAc's because of their ability to stay listenable with less well recorded or older material.

To use more of the budget, you could either look at the D28's for a more effortless formance with added depth, a DACxp Plus in place of the PreXPD to improve D/A conversion and overall quality, or a pair of Mono X200's in place of the X Power for better control over the D18's.

Whatever source you're feeding the AVI's, is it possible to feed the new system in the same way?

Rory27:

Dear what hifiers,

I own a nice set of AVI ADM9.1's wich i really like, but with rock music they are not very enjoyable. I don't know why but they are too polite I think, with or without subwoofer I doesn't gel very good with Bruce Springsteen, Led Zep, Metallica, Bob Dylan etc. Vocals (female) are beautiful by the way.

Now I am planning to move my ADM too my study room and place a new set-up in my living room.

What cd-amp-speaker combo do you guys think will give me a nice sound when listening my favourite rock albums? Budget is 4,000-6,000 pounds.

My room is 22 sq meters.

thanks in advance

rory

The bald reality is that hi-fi, how ever good the components, is a compromise.

Firstly, book yourself an audition and listen to several different set-ups. I would start by looking in the region of Roksan Caspian and PMC TB2i speakers. Also, Naim XS (same speakers BTW), and just take it from there.

Rory27:
Dear what hifiers,

My room is 22 sq meters.

thanks in advance

rory

Hi Rory

If your budget allows then Naim's NAC 202 pre amplifier, NAP 200 power amp, CD5 XS or Naim's DAC (possibly using your existing source with the Naim DAC) and Dynaudio's Excite X32 speakers are worth considering.These components should give you more then a fair amount of zest particularly when playing rock albums. Performance levels can be increased later on by adding Naim power supplies to the NAC 202, CD5 XS and their DAC. Power supplies can be added in stages to one component at a time

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Rory have you tried a sub with the Adms? I play alot of rock/blues and love the setup. I just had the 9.1's for a year and they sounded good but adding the sub has really filled out the sound aswell as adding extra depth and rhythm.
Nick.

A

Anonymous

Yes I have tried a BK subwoofer. But altough it has warmer deeper bass, it is still very polite and controlled.

On a saturday night I want to "rock" and not analyse my music.

The only speaker I demoed which can rock was the Tannoy DC8 with the Exposure 3010S amp.

I will demo this but maybe there are some other alternatives.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:Funny, someone leads us to believe that the 9.1's are better than everything else....

Going by experience, I'd have a look at the ProAc Repsonse D18's with a Cyrus PreXPD (onoard DACs) and X Power, which should set you back just under £4,500. We find a lot of people choose the ProAc's because of their ability to stay listenable with less well recorded or older material.

To use more of the budget, you could either look at the D28's for a more effortless formance with added depth, a DACxp Plus in place of the PreXPD to improve D/A conversion and overall quality, or a pair of Mono X200's in place of the X Power for better control over the D18's.

Whatever source you're feeding the AVI's, is it possible to feed the new system in the same way?

Pro Ac wil def be demoed. I use apple tv as source. So I can use an airport in my study room.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts