Ripping music only from dvd into iTunes

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a small collection of rock concert dvd's. I would like to be able to play the music content of these on my iPod. I have looked at downloads such as Handbrake, but this is primarily for films ie picture and sound. Is there a download where I can separate the music from the video, then rip the music into iTunes?

Andrew

Fisherking 145

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
IIRC most DVD ripping software allow you to specify which parts of the DVD you want to rip, for instance you may not want to rip the French soundtrack for obvious reasons. This would then allow you to just rip the music, not the video, leaving you with the audio track to somehow slip into iTunes. It's something I've thought about before, but never got round to doing. Might give it a go later if this rain keeps up, as cricket will get called off. I'll let you know how it goes.

John Duncan

Still illegal though, to be fair...
emotion-2.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, but record companies seem less concerned about us making the odd copy for personal use than do the people with expensive suits and haircuts in Los Angeles law offices...

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
which only goes to show what a complete *** the law is currently concerning digital media. The law is sooo outdated.

The big companies want you to pay 1,2 and 3 times over for what is basically the same material.

If I buy a blu ray or DVD of a music concert I want to be able to listen to just the audio sometimes rather than sit and watch, so I am assuming legally I have to buy an audio CD of the same concert - and they wonder why piracy is rife.......

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Oh yeah. Which is silly really*, but hey...

*in my in-no-way-affiliated-to-whf opinion

The most ridiculous part of this is that 90% (guessing) of people that rip music to an mp3 player or iPod, use iTunes or WMP. Both have the facility of ripping and adding album art etc. Surely as it's illegal, how can they basically offer the crime to the customer?

John Duncan

Indeed. Though you'll note that it's not illegal in the US to take copies for personal use (though fairly sure cracking copy protection stll is, which counts DVDs out). And with the Internet being global, it's quite difficult to prevent you from using such (legal,at least in the States) software if you wish. Furthermore, even the music industry has said that whatever the law says, you won't be prosecuted in this country if you use such software for your own use exclusively...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I would suggest Mpeg Streamclip. (Free software)

I have only ever used the Mac version but it worked fine.

I had a load of old radio plays that (because of their length) I had recorded in Nicam audio to VHS (from FM Stereo) to avoid the gaps that would occur with using audio cassettes. (Being able to use the VHS recorder's timer was handy for setting up unattended recordings too.) This was long before Freeview radio and PVRs.

When we started getting rid of our VHS tapes I used our old Panasonic VHS/DVD/HDD recorder to copy the radio plays to DVD-R.

Then I downloaded Mpeg Streamclip and used that to rip the DVDs and demux all the relevant .VOB files (Export to AIFF).

Then I just imported the AIFF files to iTunes at whatever rate of compression is set on iTunes preferences. I found 256K VBR plenty for radio plays.

TRENDING THREADS