Reviews

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm fairly new to this site but I was surprised that WHF has not reviewed any ArCam or Creek amps in the last few years, any reason for this, is it to do with advertising?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Oh dear God.

Yes. Yes it most definitely is, and a representative of the mag will be along shortly to confirm that yes, it's all to do with the advertising.

D

Deleted member 2457

Alec said:
Oh dear God.

Yes. Yes it most definitely is, and a representative of the mag will be along shortly to confirm that yes, it's all to do with the advertising.

smiley-smile.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Alec said:
Oh dear God.

Or just that the lead first test in our next issue will be the Arcam FMJ A19 amplifier.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
BigH said:
I'm fairly new to this site but I was surprised that WHF has not reviewed any ArCam or Creek amps in the last few years, any reason for this, is it to do with advertising?

[EDITED BY MODS - please do not attack other members]

unfriendly.

Yes or no would do.

manicm

Andrew Everard said:
Alec said:
Oh dear God.

Or just that the lead first test in our next issue will be the Arcam FMJ A19 amplifier.

Ding ding ding! Could you fill us in on the price
smiley-wink.gif
If it sounds anything near my Solo Mini but at twice the power but not the price I may upgrade...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
manicm said:
Andrew Everard said:
Alec said:
Oh dear God.

smiley-wink.gif
If it sounds anything near my Solo Mini but at twice the power but not the price I may upgrade...

Try this: http://www.whathifi.com/news/exclusive-arcam-unveils-feature-packed-a19-amplifier-and-rblink-bluetooth-receiver

manicm

BigH said:

Everything, Arcam don't advertise nearly enough. Except in the Jan WHF issue where, gasp(!), they published a dedicated ad for the A19. That must have caught WHF napping :grin: Then again there's no mention of the rBlink on their website. The seem to have a propensity for self-censorship :)

manicm

CnoEvil said:
manicm said:
Andrew Everard said:
Alec said:
Oh dear God.

smiley-wink.gif

Try this: http://www.whathifi.com/news/exclusive-arcam-unveils-feature-packed-a19-amplifier-and-rblink-bluetooth-receiver

Ah, never noticed that.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
manicm said:
BigH said:

Everything, Arcam don't advertise nearly enough.

Not, of course, that advertising spend, or lack thereof, has anything to do with our review selection policy. Never has, never will.

If you have evidence to the contrary we would, as ever, be amused to hear it...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Things get sent to them, they review them.

Almost: we decide on the products we'd like to review, we request them, they get sent to us, we review them. On occasion, when a manufacturer or distributor decides it doesn't want to supply a review sample, and we feel it's of sufficient interest to the reader, we will borrow it from a retailer or, in extremis, buy it.

On other occasions, when a manufacturer supplies a product we haven't requested, we may decide not to review it, or not to review it until we have a space we need to fill.

manicm

Andrew Everard said:
manicm said:
BigH said:

Everything, Arcam don't advertise nearly enough.

Not, of course, that advertising spend, or lack thereof, has anything to do with our review selection policy. Never has, never will.

If you have evidence to the contrary we would, as ever, be amused to hear it...

I in no way suggested that, my comment was tongue firmly in cheek to the OP.

BigH said:

WHFI had a Group test in the June edition which included the Arcam A18 and CD17. It was put up against Rega Brio-R and Apollo-R, Cyrus 6A & CD6SE2, Roksan Kandy K2 amp and CDP. The one puzzling thing was the next page they found suitable speakers for each of the components... except the Arcam duo wasn't featured in this particular section. Disappointed? yes.

If memory serves me well, WHFI also reviewd the Arcam A28 in another group test, about 4 years ago. They paired it with Arcams CD37 and Focal 816 floorstanders and they only gave it 3 stars, although can't recall exact comments.

I think a couple or three years ago they reviewed Creek Destiny CDP, alongside Leema Stream...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
OK thanks for that info. I must admit I have not read Whathifi for years as I have a hifi system and only have started looking to upgrade in the last week or so. Looking on this site, I see no Arcam, Creek or Musical Fid. amps but there are 6 Mission, just looks a bit unbalanced to me.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
It is up to each company which models they submit for review. (Or whether they submit any at all.)

WHF has reviewed many Arcam items. (Including conventional stereo seperates and even tuners.)

There is a dearth of Arcam stereo amplifier reviews on the website (although I know I have seen them in system tests in the printed mag). Supertest and group test reviews don't get featured here though.

An example... Rega RS3 speakers have been reviewed - individually and in the context of whole system reviews - a few times in the magazine. Still no website review of them though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts