Reviews system

audioarchitect

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I apologise if this is a well trodden path, but I'm very confused at the review system.

WHF says 'Every product is rated out of five stars on a performance-per-pound basis.'

And a CD player which costs THIRTY SIX THOUSAND POUNDS gets 5 stars. WTF WHF? You even site three negatives in the review but it still gets 5 stars? Perhaps there should be a review section for 'if money were no object'?

On the subject of CD players, I've been told by two sound engineers independently that the PS3 actually contains the best CD player they've ever heard. Has anyone else heard /or think this?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
audioarchitect said:
I apologise if this is a well trodden path, but I'm very confused at the review system.

WHF says 'Every product is rated out of five stars on a performance-per-pound basis.'

And a CD player which costs THIRTY SIX THOUSAND POUNDS gets 5 stars. WTF WHF? You even site three negatives in the review but it still gets 5 stars?

You misunderstand, each product reviewed is compared to competitors in the same price bracket, not against items in different price brackets (unless it particularly relevant). The review clearly compares it to other CD players in that bracket.

Perhaps there should be a review section for 'if money were no object'?

That review comes from the "Temptations" section of the magazine, which IS a money no object section...

On the subject of CD players, I've been told by two sound engineers independently that the PS3 actually contains the best CD player they've ever heard. Has anyone else heard /or think this?

Nope.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I have just read the review of this CD player and i thouroghly (really) enjoyed it, an interesting insight into what most of us can't afford, top marks WHFS&V. :clap:

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
audioarchitect said:

Maybe they haven't heard many CD players...

Either way, first I've heard of it. One of the versions of the original PS1 was supposed to sound surprisingly good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts